Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need help!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RoboTuner 
#1 ·
Yesterday i was driving home in my 04 WRX, went to shift and my clutch hit the floor and my car made a God awful noise. Had to forcfully pull it out of gear and the noise didn't stop until i turned the car off. I have to manually pull the clutch off the floor. Any ideas?

#4 ·
ya either that or slave cylinder is toasted. notice any fluid on the groud when you pump the clutch? or is all your clutch fluid gone? if its still there its probably your pressure plate. if your fluid is all gone, could be your slave cylinder and/or clutch line. definitely something hydraulic related.

Reactions: RoboTuner
#5 ·
When the clutch went out in my 02 wrx I had the same issue, went to shift and plop right down to the floor. Ended up being the pressure plate, now when I say the fingers fell off I mean they literally fell off the assembly and were sitting in the clutch assembly.

As titter mentioned check the fluid first as it's easiest, but it does sound like it's time for a new clutch. If so, I would HIGHLY recommend SouthBendClutch. They use Exedy pressure plates (so does Subaru/Toyota) and they have retarded amounts of combinations for your driving style (stage 1 daily/enduro/drag, stage 2 daily/enduro/drag, etc), I personally have their stage 2 daily (rated for 350wtq) and it's slightly stiffer than a stock clutch but not like a twin plate clutch at all. Engagement is like stock and butter smooth (after 750mile break in). I say this after DDing an ACT stage 2 XTSS and a Fidanza 9lbs for 2.5 years, and politely put..that clutch was a track clutch, harsh engagement (the whole car shutters) and paired with the ultralight flywheel driving in Orlando city (not even rush hour) with the A/C on made it almost stall multiple times.

Also when you get a new clutch, you SHOULD get a new flywheel as I hear many subies don't like resurfaced ones and kill the clutch earlier than they should over time. And unless you really run the car hard almost every day (shifts above 5k RPMs) I wouldn't get a lightweight flywheel (maybe a stage 1 ~14lbs vs stock 18lbs), I have a Competition Clutch 14.5lbs LWFW with my SBC stage 2 daily and it's a great combo, but unless I'm trying to get decent MPGs I shifter around 4k+ RPMs.

Let us know what you find!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.