need help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
need help

sorry if this was posted before..i did find some infos but nothing helped me alot with what am facing.i started ma car 3 days ago and it did a werid sound,after alot of inspection and searching i concluded that it was a spun bearing.i live in dubai,UAE and here,boxer engines are not quite easy to fix..there are copule of garages to fix it but its hell expensive.my engine is ej205

so here are stuff i need to know

is it fixable,and how much wud it cost?
is my engine blown out and needs replacment?
if my engine needs replacement,should i go for the same 1 or swap?
recommendations of ej 207,255 and 257?
and if i wud go for a 255 or a 257 do i need a new 6 speed gear box?
price range of the engines ie 205,207,255 or 257

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
First, please put a little bit more effort into your English. "alot" is not a word. Sentences end in a period, have a subsequent space, and then start with a capital letter. Please avoid abbreviations like "wud". It's not hard to type would.

If you're asking these questions, you need to talk to somebody who can do the work. A spun baring is hard to diagnose until the engine is completely apart. We can't diagnose your car based on a "weird sound" over the internet.

Good luck!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
Sorry for that,i did not know you guys need a perfect grammar.

And regarding the inspection and searching i did,it was in my car not over the internet.

Leave the sound apart.Can you help me out with the engine questions,as in price range,prefer-ability and transmission needed or can i go with the stock gear installed
#4 Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Sadly it all depends on what happened beyond the bearing failure. The pistons could've scratched the cylinder walls, the rods could be "blued" (it looks more purple than blue on my personal experience), and the crank could be damaged. So, like previously mentioned. You won't know whats broke and needs fixed until its opened up and pulled apart.

As far as what is the most simple to put back in. That would be the same engine. Unless you want to modify some bits to make them work or putting some of the engines in that you listed would be a lot of electrical changes and a ECU swap.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Sadly it all depends on what happened beyond the bearing failure. The pistons could've scratched the cylinder walls, the rods could be "blued" (it looks more purple than blue on my personal experience), and the crank could be damaged. So, like previously mentioned. You won't know whats broke and needs fixed until its opened up and pulled apart.

As far as what is the most simple to put back in. That would be the same engine. Unless you want to modify some bits to make them work or putting some of the engines in that you listed would be a lot of electrical changes and a ECU swap.
Okay...What about the transmission,would I need to change it if am going for an Ej255?

Thanks alot by the way
#6 Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
And I forgot to mention that opening my engine apart would cost me here 800-1k USD.Thats y am considering a new engine
#7 Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The EJ205 uses a 16-bit ECU and a DBC system and a bunch of other fundamental differences in control compared to the EJ255/EJ257. The most common engine upgrade for the EJ205 powered cars is to make a "hybrid" motor by taking the 2.5L shortblock and re-using the EJ205 heads entirely. The ECU can be retuned to account for the change in displacement and the stock EJ205 heads actually flow pretty well. This is far FAR less painful than trying to shoehorn in a different motor. Not that it can't be done, but it usually requires a standalone EM solution and someone who really understands that particular wiring harness intimately. There are numerous folks who swap in JDM EJ207 engines of various types. That's technically more complicated than the hybrid setup.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTOOL View Post
Okay...What about the transmission,would I need to change it if am going for an Ej255?

Thanks alot by the way
No...there is no reason to change your transmission unless you're looking to add big power and tq after its running. Even then you can just upgrade the 5 spd gears to handle the extra power.

Quote:
And I forgot to mention that opening my engine apart would cost me here 800-1k USD.Thats y am considering a new engine
Sadly, after opening it up you'll likely come to the conclusion that you need a new engine anyways. If there are gold flakes in your oil. Which I'd assume there is if you truely spun a bearing. Then you should consider a new oil pan, pump, and oil assembly. Unless you want to either: clean out the old with a very fine tooth comb (meaning get it very very very clean) and hope you don't run bearing shavings through your new engine and your current turbo or just swap out the oil system to know its clean. Which also brings up the fact that it wouldn't hurt to get your turbo and your heads inspected on the current engine. Unless you're getting a new longblock engine. See how big of a pain in the arse this can get?

Kirt
#9 Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The EJ205 uses a 16-bit ECU and a DBC system and a bunch of other fundamental differences in control compared to the EJ255/EJ257. The most common engine upgrade for the EJ205 powered cars is to make a "hybrid" motor by taking the 2.5L shortblock and re-using the EJ205 heads entirely. The ECU can be retuned to account for the change in displacement and the stock EJ205 heads actually flow pretty well. This is far FAR less painful than trying to shoehorn in a different motor. Not that it can't be done, but it usually requires a standalone EM solution and someone who really understands that particular wiring harness intimately. There are numerous folks who swap in JDM EJ207 engines of various types. That's technically more complicated than the hybrid setup.
Okay,does a hybrid engine have any drawbacks?
Does it require a lot of work to Change he block or is it complicated?

And can you explain "The ECU can be retuned to account for the change in displacement and the stock EJ205 heads actually flow pretty well." further?

Last edited by MASTOOL; 02-22-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
#10 Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

MASTOOL is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
No...there is no reason to change your transmission unless you're looking to add big power and tq after its running. Even then you can just upgrade the 5 spd gears to handle the extra power.

Sadly, after opening it up you'll likely come to the conclusion that you need a new engine anyways. If there are gold flakes in your oil. Which I'd assume there is if you truely spun a bearing. Then you should consider a new oil pan, pump, and oil assembly. Unless you want to either: clean out the old with a very fine tooth comb (meaning get it very very very clean) and hope you don't run bearing shavings through your new engine and your current turbo or just swap out the oil system to know its clean. Which also brings up the fact that it wouldn't hurt to get your turbo and your heads inspected on the current engine. Unless you're getting a new longblock engine. See how big of a pain in the arse this can get?
It really hurts by the way when something goes wrong in the engine as a fault not due to missuse.I guess am going for a new long block engine and keeping the old one for spare parts but am kind of considering a hybrid but I need to gather more info to do right and proper.
#11 Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
It really hurts by the way when something goes wrong in the engine as a fault not due to missuse.I guess am going for a new long block engine and keeping the old one for spare parts but am kind of considering a hybrid but I need to gather more info to do right and proper.
Are you having the turbo looked at all? It should be fine, but it doesn't hurt to get it looked at to make sure shavings didn't damage anything.

Kirt
#12 Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Okay,does a hybrid engine have any drawbacks?
Does it require a lot of work to Change he block or is it complicated?

And can you explain "The ECU can be retuned to account for the change in displacement and the stock EJ205 heads actually flow pretty well." further?
This post lets me know that the only possible option you should be considering is a direct, factory EJ205 replacement. When it comes to modding, if you don't know exactly what you're doing and have a good understanding of what you're affecting, then you shouldn't do it. Going in over your head will just cause you monetary and stress headaches because you're gonna spend far more than you're expecting and mistakes can be made.