My '08 won't turn over... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

DichroChrono is an unknown
My '08 won't turn over...

Hey all, wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction... I went to fuel up my '08 5 door (6900 miles odo) after driving around all day with no problems at all... as soon as I started to pull away from the pump the car started shaking then died, and hasn't turned over since! A few details that may factor in here..

-It's raining really hard in Chicagoland today... but I wasn't racing through any puddles, and the engine bay seems to be damn dry... wires, battery, air box etc all dry.
-Roadside tried jumping it to no avail... electrical system is 100%
-Aside from SPT catback the car is stock.
-Tank had about 1.5 gals left when I re-fueled to a full 16.9 gals using 93 octane
-Engine sounds like it's about to start but never fires up.

This is pretty unnerving consider the age of the car, not to mention shitty treatment from roadside assistance. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2008, 10:38 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
is it getting spark and fuel? thats were you start. I assume you still have a warranty, I'm sure is should be covered if you take it back to the dealer.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nope... not getting fuel at all. Apparently I paid $4.30 a gallon for a full tank of WATER! The insane rain on Saturday must have leaked into the gas stations premium tank. This is going to cost me big time! I hope the gas station isn't going to make this a nightmare to get reimbursed, because one thing's for sure... a gas tank full of water is not covered under warranty!
#4 Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
damn that sucks. hopefully it will get taken care of by the gas station, I'm sure they have alot of cars to fix.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#5 Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
your subaru warranty allows for a tow to the nearest subaru dealership, you should try that and let them fix, if they refuse sue the crap out of the gas station.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyedAWD is on thin ice
Send a message via MSN to BugEyedAWD
^ +1

Even though its not warranty. you should be able to get it towed, and instead of paying for the tow bill, the wrecker service will charge the dealer, and the dealer will add it to the cost of the repairs. and depending on if the gas station wants to offer any help is up to them. (i know the local dealerships around here offer loaner cars, so you wont be out of a car during repair. I would look into that, although its not a subaru thing, its a dealership thing, they decide if they want to give you a car or not...) but thats the best advice i can give on this. And i HOPE you got a receipt when filling up or else you have no proof of purchasing gas from their location
#7 Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
This sort of happened to me. They somehow contaminated the gas with diesel fuel, and my car was running like you know what. Supposedly the gas station was supposed to be paying for cars with damaged fuel pumps and stuff, but I just ran some fuel system cleaner through my car, and called it a day since everything was working fine because I got the fuel cleaner in ASAP. Now that I think about it, that gas station still owes me a full tank of gas...

The gas station better pay for it though. If they refuse, that's seriously messed up. Tell them you are going to put a billion signs up saying that they sell water for gas or something. Hahaha

Anyways, glad you found out the problem, good luck with the solution. Best of luck to ya.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#8 Old 09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DichroChrono View Post
Nope... not getting fuel at all. Apparently I paid $4.30 a gallon for a full tank of WATER! The insane rain on Saturday must have leaked into the gas stations premium tank. This is going to cost me big time! I hope the gas station isn't going to make this a nightmare to get reimbursed, because one thing's for sure... a gas tank full of water is not covered under warranty!
That sucks BALLS!!!

12.7 @ 109
#9 Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

headstart101 is an unknown
I think its the new thing,I think gas station are now offering premium radiator coolant for the same price as premium gas, its suppose to reduce temps by 45% I think. Maybe you just mistaken the premiuum coolant for premium gas. Next time make sure its says fuel at the pump your pumping from. lol
#10 Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Let us know how the gas station handles this Dichro! I'm hoping for the best for you man.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#11 Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Spoke with the owner of the gas station today and 6 other people (so far..) got water instead of gas... he's trying to take it up with Citgo, and actually being relatively communicative. On the repair front: my rex has been in service all week. The dealer has spent a few days worth of billable hours working on the car ($$$!) but they are being extremely understanding and only billing me 3 hours tech time and some parts (cleaner, plugs, fuel etc.)... when/if Citgo agrees to pay for the repairs they're going to submit the full bill... point being they want me to pay as little as possible out of pocket for this BS. Also, somewhere along the way my starter got fried but warranty is covering that. Been one hell of a week. Hopefully I'll have my rex back before the weekend ### Im jonesin for that flat 4!
#12 Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DichroChrono View Post
when/if Citgo agrees to pay for the repairs they're going to submit the full bill... 4!
Hopefully when. Glad things are starting to work out so far.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#13 Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
At least there is some cooperation from the gas station at this point. Best of luck with it all.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"