Subaru WRX Forum banner

Motor rebuild. Oil gushing out.

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  PNWsubaruwrx 
#1 ·
Hello all im new here,
I have a 03 wrx Mt. It had a bearing go out and I have done a full rebuild on this motor. Block and heads done professionally. New water pump new oil pump etc

So my issue is I had everything put back on and I started it up first try which was a great feeling after a year. I got in to drive it out of my shop and it did fine around the parking lot. Pulled it back in and found 2-3 quarts of ok was on the floor. It was mainly inside the timing belt cover area and all over the belt. a good amount was on top of the block as well from over flow is my guess from wherever problem is. My guess is oil pump problem seal or not tightened down properly.I don't know of any other areas oil could come out in that amount on the front

Any help with issues before I tear it apart again will help thanks.

#3 ·
I don't mean to kick a man when he is down but if you had primed the engine you would have noticed that oil was coming out. Especially at that volume. Not only is priming an engine important for many reasons I use it as a test to see if fluids are leaking out. Typically small minute leaks wont show during priming.

But like you and LW said is seems like a seal on the oil pump. Good luck an let us know what you find.

#4 ·
Ah no worries I forgot to mention that was already done prior to starting. Just finished today with putting in a new oil pump seal the brand new one had a broken spring in it. Now I have two codes.

P0031 Mass air sensor high input. This one I'm guessing replace it? I cleaned it and don't know any other ideas. It slightly back fires and runs very very rich.

P0103 heated oxygen sensor. This one I'm not sure with. I put brand new O2 sensor up front. It was a four wire that you did your self. So I followed manufacturer directions on wiring.

Any help is great thanks.

#9 ·
Isn't there a main relay for the O2 sensor under the glove box? Check to see that it is seated correctly. MAF seems to me that you are getting to much air in to the sensor. Did you have this code prior to your install?

#14 ·
I bought another front o2 that didn't require me to splice the plug in myself (never do that again) and the new one fixed my code for the o2. Still have the MAF sensor code and A/F ratio at 17.3. Tune guy in town said not to drive it at that level and suspects it could be a wire issue to the ECU. Any thoughts?

My ECU is the TurboXS Utec system if any one has had similar problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.