Most unpatriotic car ever or unusual coincidence? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Most unpatriotic car ever or unusual coincidence?

I know it's a Japanese car, but I'm beginning to think my 2007 WRX is developing a complete lack of respect for ah-MER-i-cuh.

Recall Memorial Day, 2011: catastrophic 5 speed transmission failure (shreded several gears requiring a tow to IAG for a rebuild)

And now Independence Day, 2012: possible catastrophic engine failure? (insane amounts of smoke billowing out of the exhaust requiring a tow to IAG for diagnostics/repair)

Within the last month, I've been noticing puffs of whiteish/grey smoke on startup. Initially, I thought it was just condensation because it would only last for a second or two and then clear up right away. I got concerned when it started to smell like straight burnage (for lack of a better description), so I called IAG and scheduled an appointment for diagnostics which was, oddly enough, today (July 5th).

Over the past two weeks, I've been keeping a close eye on the oil because it's been dropping at a rate of almost a quart a week. There have been no puddles under the car. Most of it seems to be concentrated in a film on the passenger side of the engine bay - mostly on the fender and some actually on the underside of the hood. It seems to be spraying from somewhere, but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

Over the past couple of days, the car has been hesitating and almost jerking when I would drive it without using any boost. Although I have been trying to drive it very nicely, I did test it out several times and it still seems to be making plenty of power and boost. The hesitation seems to go away once the turbo kicks in.

On July 4th, after a 20-ish minute trip on the highway, the car began billowing out blinding clouds of greyish smoke from the exhaust, so I immediately pulled over and had the car towed to IAG.

I'm no expert, but this seems pretty bad. The little demon on my shoulder is hoping for an engine rebuild so I can get some aggressive cams and make the car sound super badass and bump the power up some more, but the little angel on the other shoulder is worried about my bank account and possibly missing the Hershey Park meet in September.

As usual, I'll keep everyone updated as I get more information.

Oh, the joys of modding

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I am gung ho for the lil devil!!! You may as well spend it, ya cant take it to hell with ya!!!lol

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #3 of 27 Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
You only live once, right? Got word that I lost compression in two cylinders, so the motor is being torn down and gonna be rebuilt for sure. The rest is top-secret

I've reached the point of no return. I can't let this car go.

I'm digging this money pit straight to China, what the hell!!!

Is this a cry for help? Is there a support group I can join? Anybody? Cricket. Cricket.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 27 Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah, "here" is the support group.... That sucks and rocks all at the same time. You shouldn't miss the Hershey Meat, better not take 2 months.

Do tell what you are putting in the motor.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 27 Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Apparently, your car has a 236 year old grudge. You should get a Union Jack for under the hood somewhere. Keep it happy.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Update: I'm back behind the wheel of another hooptie rental. It's a thoroughly beat up Honda Accord with 252k on the clock, but it's the cheapest I could find.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Damn John and as long as IAG doesn't take as long as CBRD did with my engine. Because I got them to fully build my engine...then you still make the Hershey meet. I think the Supertech valves were the hold up...the vavles were backordered for quite some time.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #8 of 27 Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
John it's probably time for you to invest in a beater car instead of renting hoopties

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #9 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for hoopties

I think I have the majority of the build sorted out, but I haven't really looked into valves or headwork yet. 272 cams sound so badass!

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
John, this accord you have.... Bet it's the same one from b4? LULZ

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 27 Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Heh, nope, it's different. The last one was an early 90's baby blue 5MT and this one is a mid-90's dark green with an automatic trans. The are cigarette burns on almost every interior surface, the spare tire (which is nearly bald) wasn't secured so it was sliding all over (I screwed it back down properly), there are crayons, bits of candy, pens/pencils, business cards, beads, and all kinds of other crap in the spare tire well (I left those alone), most surfaces in the interior are smelly and sticky, it pulses/pulls in the opposite direction when making a turn (especially noticeable when going around highway entrance/exit ramps). Also, just about every exterior body panel has at least one signifncant blemish. I'd say that this car has slightly more character than the last one.

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Maybe I have a soft spot in my heart for hoopties

I think I have the majority of the build sorted out, but I haven't really looked into valves or headwork yet. 272 cams sound so badass!
Don't do 272's (especially if they're BC or Cosworth).... Get GSC Stage I or Kelforf R-199-A/B's. Hands down the best cams for a mild turbo upgrade.

If you do the heads: inconel valves for the exhaust, nitride for intake, a mild PnP, good valve springs (supertech/gsc/ferrera), and cams will open up a good chunk of power everywhere. It'll be mostly from the cams.

Oh, and I think I remember saying start saving for an engine build once you got that 20g on there.

-Chris
post #13 of 27 Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kelford 264's were recommended, but I really love the lopey idle of the 272's based on the few videos I've seen. I'm curious, why should I stay away from the 272's?

Also, how do Manley valves stack up to the ones you mentioned? It appears as though IAG mostly deals with Manley valves and they offer either a 32 or 33 mm exhaust valve and either a 36 or 37 mm intake valve (probably depending if any porting is done) and it looks like they're all stainless.

John
07 WRX
post #14 of 27 Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The lopey idle of 272's is you losing low end torque. They may sound fun but the bigger cams are generally used to let the engine breath in the higher rpm's, where the bigger turbos (35r size stuff) live.

Trust me when I say get a 264 range cam with a mild lift in the mid 10mm range and you'll be much happier than getting lumpy 272's. The gsc s1 and kelford r-199-a's have been shown to make power everywhere, gsc s2's and r-199-b's tend to move your powerband right. S3's and r-199-c's are basically for all-out drag cars with huge turbos and high revs.

As for the valves, I like supertech. They have a great reputation and they offer inconel for the exhaust. I don't know if manley offers inconel, but it's a specific metal that is designed to handle the high heat of combustion. That's really all I'd require, the intake valve isn't quite as critical material wise, but I also like having nitride treatment.

As for the size, I'm sticking with stock since I'm staying with a smaller turbo. +1mm won't really change too much, just add cost to get the valves seats fitted. I think there is some info somewhere on Nasioc about the cost/benefit of +1mm valves. I think the consensus is if you're looking to squeeze every last drop of power out of it, sure. Otherwise it's generally not worth the effort/

-Chris
post #15 of 27 Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Chris is pretty spot on. I didn't lose any TQ with my GSC S1 cams and the engine pulls hard before the turbo even kicks in. I have supertech inconel for my exhaust and regular supertech valves for intake. I think my PnP job was +1 mm and I'm not quite sure what brand my valves springs are. Probably supertech because I wasn't told otherwise. I had my crank nitrided also. So, I'm sure that didn't make my build go any faster. Also had SwainTech side and top coat my CPs. That takes about 2-3 weeks to get them back from Swain. So, all in all. This engine is way better than the Stage 3 RAW block I had.

How many miles did you have on the original engine before you put the 20G on it? Almost 90k?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae

Last edited by turmic; 07-10-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: can't spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement