MISS fire ..HELP PLEASE - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 Old 07-16-2006, 01:35 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
your problems dude not you ..... Good to see you have a sense of humor still. I just emailed my buddy a suby tech all of your posts... Hopefully he'll get back to me today sometime.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

brokenarrow is an unknown
NICE... thanks...
post #33 of 56 Old 07-16-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I just spent the morning driveing around stareing at the Boost gauge ...it SEEMS that the car starts to have problems ( miss) when the car starts to boost?????....what would this mean ....would a bad turbo blowing oil do this????......DOes ANYONE know what the sensor at the throttle body ( where i shorted the wire) does?? is it a TPS or some sort of boost sensor......i thin ki read in some COBB AP manual that the boost sensor is after the TB ????..?? ?????????
post #34 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

OMG.....well PROBLEM has been found .

I dont know how I over looked it or ...how I ...oh hell... I just dont know....

BUT 5k miles and 50 pounds of Compression in cyl #4 .

How do I find out if its a ring, valve or piston ???

and how much am I looking at to have it fixed.( depending on each of the above). ???
post #35 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow
OMG.....well PROBLEM has been found .

I dont know how I over looked it or ...how I ...oh hell... I just dont know....

BUT 5k miles and 50 pounds of Compression in cyl #4 .

How do I find out if its a ring, valve or piston ???

and how much am I looking at to have it fixed.( depending on each of the above). ???
You need to do a leak down test to figure out if it's a piston or a ring. I forget what means what with a leak down test because I haven't done one in forever, but someone else can hopefully chime in here. Personally, I'd get that car back to stock and hope that the dealer doesn't know you've done all sorts of stuff to the car and take it in to have it looked at. If not you're looking to pull that and fix the piston or the ring. Good luck.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #36 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Seriously somebody needs to make this a sticky to show what happens when you put all the "bad" stuff on and the end results.Just because the you car is running doesn't mean everything is OK.There is so much info all over the net about using those parts and what happens and you used them ALL together?Try sending in an oil sample to Blackstone labs and they will give you an idea what happened by the metals found in the oil.The test runs about $25.I betting on piston or valve here.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #37 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

You are correct.!
They should make this a STICKY .
TO tell the truth I have never been able to find a thread about a SAFC2. I have seen a few saying nothing of importance.
I hve looked on here and on a few other sites..
I should have asked before I started to modd.

SO if this was made a sticky it might help some person like me .
I would have loved to come acrossed this thread when I was putting all the crap on my car .
post #38 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Quote:
You are correct.!
They should make this a STICKY .
TO tell the truth I have never been able to find a thread about a SAFC2. I have seen a few saying nothing of importance.
I hve looked on here and on a few other sites..
I should have asked before I started to modd.

SO if this was made a sticky it might help some person like me .
I would have loved to come acrossed this thread when I was putting all the crap on my car .
I'd just like to tell you what I think happened to your car...

The SAFC is capable of controlling a/f points. It does this using static numbers at various RPM ranges. It basically overrides what the ECU wants to do. It is a problem with piggy back systems in general. I'm willing to bet that during a spirited drive the engine was running a little too lean and was either not able to pull enough timing, or it was not pulling timing at all. As a result you had a bunch of detonation and fried the ring on Cyl #4. I'm actually suprised it didn't happen to #3 first as that usually runs the hottest on these cars but I guess all it takes is a big enough kaboom to make it go.

I am going to guess that you just need a new set of rings and it will be fine, but the fact remains that the motor has to come out of the car. Have you started taking it back to stock yet?

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #39 of 56 Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I made it a sticky

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
post #40 of 56 Old 08-06-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveMasterT

The SAFC is capable of controlling a/f points. It does this using static numbers at various RPM ranges. It basically overrides what the ECU wants to do. It is a problem with piggy back systems in general. I'm willing to bet that during a spirited drive the engine was running a little too lean and was either not able to pull enough timing, or it was not pulling timing at all. As a result you had a bunch of detonation and fried the ring on Cyl #4. I'm actually suprised it didn't happen to #3 first as that usually runs the hottest on these cars but I guess all it takes is a big enough kaboom to make it go.

I am going to guess that you just need a new set of rings and it will be fine, but the fact remains that the motor has to come out of the car. Have you started taking it back to stock yet?
yes the only thing on the car is EXHAUST and cobb AP

I do have a question. :
Would 2006 wrx heads bolt on a 06 sti block?
thay are both 2.5
I am pritty sure that thay will. but i need to know for sure
post #41 of 56 Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
yes the only thing on the car is EXHAUST and cobb AP

I do have a question. :
Would 2006 wrx heads bolt on a 06 sti block?
thay are both 2.5
I am pritty sure that thay will. but i need to know for sure
Since the misfire issue's pretty much addressed, can you start a different thread for this new question.

I don't want this thread to go in a million directions. Since it's a sticky, I'd like it to stay relevent and on-topic.

Thanks.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #42 of 56 Old 08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveMasterT

The main problem with the SAFC is it's all fuel based on TPS position and RPM,not boost or load.And it has absolutly no control over timing.So you have a piggy back that used two sensors to decide fueling while the stock ECU uses around 12.I know the DSM guys used to use a "hack" method by connecting the TPS signal wire to an airflow sensor so fueling would be some what relative to boost.Plus the MBC,intercooler and intake were not helping things.

post #43 of 56 Old 08-06-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yah, I might as well have throwen some sand in the oil.
Differnt cause and effect but same results ....Broken motor.
post #44 of 56 Old 05-05-2007, 03:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

king723 is an unknown
Im suprised no body posted this yet but more then half the time there is a check engine light for a cylinder 4 missfire is caused from the valves running too tight. This is not as serious as it sounds because its only shims and buckets, about a 3-5 hour job. We get the same problem a lot in our shop and a valve adjustment always fixes the problem. I have the same problem with my car but you know its bad when you come to a stop and the car stalls until then either put up with the light or go get it fixed! hope that helps some people out there.
post #45 of 56 Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 AM
WRXpert

Also lightned crank pulley or lightned flywheel can cause phantom missfires on all 4 cyclinders.With custom tuning you can go back and change the parameters the ECU uses to decide when to trigger a CEL.Its set at the factory for" 1 missfire" triggers a CEL.I have adjusted mine to "3 missfires" triggers a CEL as my ACT Streetlight flywheel will sometimes trigger numorous random missfires every now and then.Sometimes days apart,sometimes months apart.