Subaru WRX Forum banner

MISS fire ..HELP PLEASE

33K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  AllExtinct 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT : go to last page for the lastest info :)

What NOT to put on your
2006 wrx TR
MOD LIST:

TBE
Big 16g
MBC
Apexi SAFC........................Just took it off
HKS fuel cut defensor..........Just took it off
Grounding mod
FMIC w/ CAI
BOV

OK this is what happened....

All of these mods have been installed for a few months WITH no problems at all

and all of a sudden last week it started to run like crap when takeing off from a dead stop would studder and barly move....BUT if i reved the motor first and kept a higher steady RPM it would take off FINE ......THEN it seemed like if I TURNED OFF the AC that it would work good........

THEn it started to get worse...even with the AC off it still studdered ....and now no matter what i do IT does it all the time ...I can get it to higher rpms when moveing and it gets a LITTLE better but sounds/ feels like it may only be running on 3 cyl's

AND the whole time I hae been throwing a ( MISS FIRE CODE) P 304
I reset the ECU and it doesnt REALLY seem to help.. the CEL will come back on in a few miles.....but it doesnt come RIGHT back on....

I was thinking it might be a fouled plug ### i have it tuned RICH at high rpms/boost and the BOV makes it run REALL rich in between Shifts.......

I have read on here and seems like people have been haveing problems with the SAFC ( is that right away or did it take a while to happen ????)

ANYWAYS please help out guys ...thats alot!!!!!

EDIT :

i pulled 2 of the spark plugs ( the easy ones on the pass. side).
and thay both look the same ...thay look fine ..good really ..THEY ARE red or orange ( thats good right? )
?????????????
it looks like thay would spark fine!

so now I am scared!!!!!!!!

AND the CEL code is P304....I am not sure about the 2006 wrx ..but i think thats the #4 cyl .....RIGHT???? and if so ..is the #4 in the back on the Driver side?

ALSO ....Does anyone know what the WHITE wire on the Throtle bodydoes ( where the big clip plugs in on the throttle body) .. its right next to the Turbo ....### when I put mu FMIC pipe on it rubed up again it and cut into it ..and was ( KINNA ) shorting out ...but it dodnt mak any difference...I didnt notice for a week or so when I took the pipe off . and then I fixed it so it wasnt touching anything any more...... WHAT DOES THE WIRE CONTROLL.....i AM HOPEING THAT I DIDNT MESS MY ECU UP WITH THAT ( i doubt i did ..but ..I am still scared )

See less See more
#2 ·
That mis fire code happened to me and it sounds exactly like what happened to me. In my case one of the clips of the coil packs broke and the coil pack came loose. Check those and your plugs and see if any of the plugs are fouled, or if the coil pack itself came loose.

#3 · (Edited)
OK ..I swaped all the plugs around AND all the Coil packs....AND reset the ECU and STILL GET A MISS fire in Cyl #4 .!! WTF
The car only has 4k on it ...ITs brand new still..

THE CAR RAN FINE ....for a month or two ..and I have not touched anything in that time.....then all of a sudden BOOM this crap happenes!!!!
What do i do from here.!?????? iF i take it to the dealer ship ..thay are just going to tell me its the ecu ### of the ( safc) !!!or something like that but thay cant look at it with out me paying ...bla bla bla ...!!!!

what do I do now? what els can i check ..HAS anyone els had this problem???

I hate this crap!!!!!

thanks alot people!!!! :)

#4 ·
I'll tell you what I think and you can go from there.

Get some real engine management and get rid of the crap that you have on there.

The AFCII, MBC, and the FCD need to go. Engine management will do all of this and then some.

You also need to fix the wire that you chafed so that it's not shorting out.

You may not need to, but I'd also look into replacing your plugs while you're at it.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree with all that ..I need to get rid of it all .
and I did fix the WIRE..
but something is wrong with Cyl 4 ..... not a plug or no the coil pack itself..
I will check the ground on it to make sure its a good ground...but i am sure it is...
and I dont think removeing the SAFC will fix my problem....I mean if the Safc did do the damage...its already done....I dont think removeing it will make any difference....BUt i will try it b4 i take to the dealer....

thanks very much for the input.

any more suggestions from anyone ..please
n
thanks!!!
:)

#9 ·
Ok i sm gonna try to swap INJ.'s and hopefully the miss will change to a diff cyl.
I checked the wireing at the ecu and its all looks good...
IF the injector isnt the problem i will take all that crap off...witch i will do anyways .. but I would like to do it in some order so I dont create more problems or what not...

SO ..
lets say my injector is bad...WHY would my WIDE band 02 sensor still say that its still running FINE....shouldnt it be reading that its LEAN??.

OR if its was not sparking ...shouldnt the Wide band be reading thats its RICH?
i dont get that part i would think thats it would indcate to some extent what was going on....but its still reads the same as when there was not problem...

I know it is working at least some what ...### when i get off the gas and use the motor to slow down the reads lean.....

i am gonna try the Inj swap soon as the motor cools down and will keep you guys posted..

thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
Good luck... If this doesn't work, I think you should get rid of the MBC, SAFC, and HKS FCD before trying to troubleshoot this further. Sell all of it and then move to something like a Cobb AP or a Utec since you're used to doing the work yourself like you do with the SAFC.

#11 ·
OK!!!!!!!
well this is a little different! AND remember that This car was barly driveable not 1 hr b4 i went and did this :

I went out and unplugged the ecu and re did all the connections and checked them all for the HKS FCD and the SAFC2 and the AVCR ( that i had in a one time...the connections were just cut and taped, when i took it out to sell it).. so i went over all that and then ....................the door chime went off for just like 2 beeps ...WHEN the ecu was out.....weird.....or what ever....i dont know if thats normal or not ..BUT....
I plugg the ECU back in and start the car ...well of corse there is no CEL so i warm it up a lil bit then go for a ride....NO problems AT ALL, it DRIVES FINE !!!!!
then i come to a light and sit there for a min. and then the CEL come on........ok ....BUT its still driveing FINE .....so i go back home and unplugg the ecu again ...and FINISH tapeing up all the wires and put the ecu back in and fineinsh messing with it ...Ok....SO
I START the car again ...and let it idle ....then i rev the motor..( ### b4 when i would REV it would back fire louad when the rpms would come back down) ..NO back fireing........

THEN THE CEL FLASHES AT ME 16 OR 17 TIMES AND GOES AWAY....SO I REV AGAIN AND THE SAME THING HAPPENES.....THEN I LET IT IDLE FOR A MIN AND REV AGAIN ...NO CEL...AND IT SEEMS TO DRIVE FINE....

DOES THIS SOUND WEIRD OR WHAT???

i am gonna go put a few miles on it and see what happenes and if the cel comes on and stays on iam gonna go pull the code and see what it says.....

Will keep you poseted!!!

thx :)

#12 ·
OK WELLthis is whats happing now!!!
:

I went for a LONG drive the CEL came on and i pulled it and it was the same Miss fire #4 cyl ...BUT it took a lot longer to come on this time ....and there is NO difference in the car's driveing ..... IT drives FINE ..perfect........Here are my thoughts on this:

please tell me what you think ....and what the flashing CEL ment

#1.. : its could have been a clogged #4 injectors ### i put fuel cleaner in and went through about a 1/4 tank of gas )and then it started to act better and run right..!...and its still a little dirty and tahts whats making it throw the CEL For that CYL. .BUT nots bad enough for me to notice anything!

#2.... when i had some sh*t hole install the SAFC and thay left the ECU cover off and told me not to put one back on ...### the metal might short the wires ..some how...( fu*king dumb shop ..I WILL NEVER NEVER go back there again...i would not let them put AIR in my tire.)...ok SO MABY people getting in and out of my car enough had made one of the connectors LOOSE and ...that could have been the big problem....BUT that would not explain why the CEL is STILL coming on ..

I think the INJ. was clogged ...### that would explain why it is running good but still throwing the CEL AND would explain it Slowly getting worse....and would explain the poof of blackish ....bluish smoke the came out when i started it ( i left that part of of the last post.....just thought it was ### my turbo ( new turbo ) has a bad seal.....
but it never has smoked at all other than some black smoke when raceing and shifting...

it did that smoke thing on two start ups and NOT again ...and since then is running GOOD!!!

SO i am hopeing that with some more driveing that it will clear up compleatlly...

WIll keep you guys posted !!! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !!!! :)

I still plann on getting a AP as soon as i can get the cash!!!

#14 ·
Man, get that stuff off from there. Whoever hooked it up did a shitty job. If you intend on leaving it all on there, at least go through and make sure that you've got good connections. It sounds like you've got all kinds of gremlins running amuck in there.

#15 ·
OK .. STILL runs like CRAP!!!!!!!!!
<Sigh>

everytime I reset the ECU ...wether its REmoveing the ecu OR clearing the CEL with a cel reader..OR unhooking the batt.

The probleme GOES away UNTILL i stop and start it again..then with in a few mins of driveing the CEL come back on and it starts running like crap...

I have SWAPED INJ's and Coil packs AND plugs..... AND ITS the same COde . miss fire in CYL 4

SO i am gonna un hook the
HKS and the SAFC...
and hope the it fixes the problem.
I have been through all the wireing and its all good....i had to tape some connections up better..there were some wires sticking just a little on a few wires

I have tested the ground to the Coil pack its good
I started the motor with the 4th cyl coil pack unplugged and it idles fine and thers NO poping sound when idleing like there is when its plugged in .....

AND yah jus tto add to a list of problems
WHEN i rev at a stop it POPS ...what ever you wanna call it or if i am sitting and idleing it makes little pops not very loud you wouldnt be able to hear em unless you were listing..

<Sigh>
I hope its not a $ 630.00 ECU ..anyone know where i can get one for cheaper...like ALOT cheaper ehhe

some one say some magic words and fix my shit please :) lol

#16 ·
brokenarrow said:
SO i am gonna un hook the
HKS and the SAFC...
and hope the it fixes the problem.
I have been through all the wireing and its all good....i had to tape some connections up better..there were some wires sticking just a little on a few wires
I thought you took that stuff out already?!

Get that SAFC and HKS crap out of your car now! Hanging on by a few wires? Were they not soldered in? Did they do the ol' "Splice, twist, and tape"? That's like the worst way to do things ever.:notgood:

Get all of the electronics out of your car. For diagnosing a problem like this, it is important to get all factors out of the system. Do you know anyone locally who could lend you their ECU? Could you maybe just "rent" one from your local dealer (buy it then return it after you test... don't know if you can return an ECU though)? Just some ideas to toss around.

Also, I've noticed that you do not have bigger injectors at this time so it is not nessicary to run any sort of engine management to keep your car running. As long as you don't go around spooling that turbo all the way up then you should be fine. Also, take the MBC off the car and let the factory Boost Control Solenoid control boost if you haven't already.

#17 ·
No thay soldered the wires..just did a kinna shitty job of tapeing...some of the wires were sticking out of the tape....only one or 2 wires...and there was nothing thay could have really touched..no metal or other wire......but its still possiable...
I am takeing the SAFC and HKS out tommorow..

Iif it doesnt fix the problem ill call the dealer and see if i can buy and return the ECU ..........<Sigh> this sucks!!

#18 ·
brokenarrow said:
No thay soldered the wires..just did a kinna shitty job of tapeing...some of the wires were sticking out of the tape....only one or 2 wires...and there was nothing thay could have really touched..no metal or other wire......but its still possiable...
I am takeing the SAFC and HKS out tommorow..

Iif it doesnt fix the problem ill call the dealer and see if i can buy and return the ECU ..........<Sigh> this sucks!!
Yeah I mean just tell them you're having a problem with your car and you would like to purchase and ECU to see if that fixes it and if it doesn't, you want to know their return policy.

#19 ·
OK
HKS FCD IS OFF
SAFC2 is OFF
car still runs like crap! no difference at all

I called the dealer and asked if i can buy and return the ECU if it dont work for me ....thay said if you plug it in YOU CAN NOT Return it.!! :(

SO i mean ...what are my options now.?????

If i unplug the ecu or rest it the car runs good till i turn it off and restart it ..the 2nd time it is started it runs like crap and the cel comes on..
the 1st time the cel will flash if i REV the motor but just driveing or even raceing the cel wont flash ...( this is only the 1st time its started after the reset...)

So now what?? I am out of idas!!! I have no clue what to do ...only thing i can thin kto do is take it to a dealer ..and let them have at it.....

what do you guys this i should try next....?????????? <Sigh>

#20 ·
well after some reading is this thread
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801089&page=2&pp=25

It looks like my ECU is bad ..this guy has the SAME problem as i do ..except its CYL #1 ..

And i am guessing i ###### didnt break it but i am gonna have to pay for it...<sigh>

Does ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A ECU FOR LESS THAN 600..

MAN that sucks ...I could have bought a AP for 600....this really sucks..

But still SHOULD i take the car to the dealer and have them look at it ( witch will cost me 90.00 ) and then + the ecu.

or do i just buy the ecu.....??????

#21 ·
OK i hope you guys are still reading this....### ..i am so lost ...

I have gotten all electronics out of the car ie hks and Safc 2 ...THE car is ALMOST STOCk except for the exhaust and the 16g turbo...thats i am taking out on tuesday ..### its blowing oil.( bad oil seal)...and i am putting the stock one back in...

I have done --- to fix the proble to no avail :

changed coils
changes spark plugs
swaped injectors
NEW ECU
checked all wireing that has been spliced to the ecu
fixed the wire that i shorted out on the throttle body

I have NO clue what to do next...I am gonna go out again in a minute to go over the wires again with a meter and see if any of them have high resistence..( but i doubt thay will )
I have ordered a COBB AP with NEXT DAY AIR ...so maby ill get it by monday ...depending on how long i have to wait on cobb.( anyone know how long the wait is if any for a 2006 wrx ?? )

So please I welcome ANY suggestions .......... I WAS THINKING THAT MABY ITS THE SENSOR THAT WAS CONNECTED TO THE WHITE WITR THAT I SHORTED THAT MIGHT BE DOING THIS ( but then i think it would do it to all of the cyl's )...or MABY THE BAD TURBO..??

please help :)

#24 ·
bigbadbuddha said:
Waht cel's are you throwing????
P 304 is the only code that i am getting ....thats it!

ANd what green connector...the one on the passenger side or driver side..

DRIVER side = dont think so, I have never plugged it in

Passenger side = YES, I didnt plug it in ...i think it comes this way....not sure

SOOO i went over ALL the connections at the ECU again...thay are all Perfect...good as can be....so my problem lies elswhere.....<sigh>

!Cry!

#26 ·
brokenarrow said:
P 304 is the only code that i am getting ....thats it!

ANd what green connector...the one on the passenger side or driver side..

DRIVER side = dont think so, I have never plugged it in

Passenger side = YES, I didnt plug it in ...i think it comes this way....not sure

SOOO i went over ALL the connections at the ECU again...thay are all Perfect...good as can be....so my problem lies elswhere.....<sigh>

!Cry!
Driver side, don't plug it in. You definitely do not want to plug it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.