Misfire codes - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
It will help with cleaning the valves, I wouldn't hope that one time does the trick. Maybe after a few times it might clean it up. Run a full can of B12 in the tank and 1/3-1/2 in the BPV. Bet it's the coilpacks. But a SF/B12 treatment may just do the trick.

BTW... You car takes a CRAP ton of water/collant after a full flush/refill. So I take it your temp is always normal ?
When you say it takes a ton of coolant, how much do you mean? either i have a tiny little leak somewhere that doesnt puddle under the car (maybe only leaks while im driving) or this things is taking a ton of fluid.
i did a little reasearch, and it seems like it should not be taking this much, oh and as a side note, i dont know if this means anything, but my overflow tank hose keeps getting pushed up and partially out, i guess you would say, of the tank. It doesnt come all the way out, but it gets pushed up, and probably stops against the hood. kinda strange.

here is a vid i found, different year than mine, but would imagine they arent much different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I believe someone earlier posted 2 gallons.... But since you have aftermarket stuff, not so sure.

Have you looked in your oil yet?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#48 Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

yea, oil is fine. i had compression test done and it passed no prob, its not a head gasket or cracked head... but my coolant is going somewhere'
#49 Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Tell you what, start it with the radiator cap OFF and keep adding and squueze the top hose a few times, go underneath or have someone there with you to KEEP squeezing the bottom hose... Eventually you will get it burped correctly (but I think you have).

Are you adding just water or 50/50?

I would keep more coolant than water untill you find the leak... IF there even is one. It's easier to spot collant than water.

Heck, drive it around and fill it, then park it on your driveway and grab a 12pk with a few buddies untill you see where it's going.... <-- My answer to most things

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#50 Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

hmm , i didnt think about the coolant being easier to see, but it makes sense. i just didnt want to keep dumping bottles of money into it lol. Yea i guess im gonna just have to do like you say drive-park-and look, and keep trying untill i find something. and beer pretty much goes with me every time i am out at the car fiddling with something
#51 Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ok, I've been watching this thread long enough. Here's what you need for the coolant issue. Fill into the upper reservoir quickly while at idle with a funnel that fits the opening tightly (cap on rad). keep the funnel continually full until it starts trying to spit coolant back up. When it does, rev it until it drinks the coolant down into the reservoir (yes it takes about 2 gallons) Cap tightly when it won't take any more. shut off engine, allow to cool. Test with pressure tester. Make sure both caps are good (137kpa on the rad, 108kpa on the reservoir)

Name:  PressureTester.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  12.2 KB

Cullen
#52 Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Cullen you rockstar...make us all look bad. where might one get such a toy? I may want one just to have it around.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#53 Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Even a cheap one from harbor freight works. Checker (Oreilly's) or what ever parts stores often have those types of specialty tools to "lend". You just have to put down a refundable deposit. On the coolant reservoir (not the rad) pump it up to cap pressure (about 19psi) and see if the pressure holds steady, for 5-10 minutes. If it drops, pump it up more and find the leak. While under pressure, they will be easy to spot (or hear)

Cullen
#54 Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Cullen didn't just get all of his rep with his good looks. Haha, nice job Cullen.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#55 Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Never have seen one of those. Nice Cullen.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#56 Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

ooh! thanks! i didnt know they made one of them!
#57 Old 06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok, as an update, i havent done anything else YET, but i do ahave a thermostat on order and i am going to check all the hoses when the rad is all drained, but one thing i did notice, testerday and today, is that when i park, i can hear the fan on to cool the radiator, so with the engine still running i check my overflow tank, and it has overflowed just a little, and it is full and bubbling. the water that comes out apperas to come right out of the lid, and the hose that goes into the top of the tank is always pushed up a bit. how strange. will update again after thermo install and hose check
#58 Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

HAHAAAAAAAAA!!! i didnt expect this... so my new therostat came in, and i drained the coolant out, pulled out the old thermo.... it was obviosly broken... and i reaaalllly dont think it would have done so on its own, so some idiot that had the car before me intentionally ripped the insides of it out, and still used the body/gasket to keep going. WOW, im wondering now what i got myself into when i bought this car with dumbass people like that doing any kind of work to it. well new thermostat it, will be testing it out good tomorrow, its already late now so not today. will keep udates coming
#59 Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well i think im F**ked , new thermostat is in, and it will only go about 2 miles before it wants to overheat. i didnt let it overheat, but it was on its way in a hurry. there are a lot of bubbles going into the overflow tank, where when i am driving only it will overflow. i cant get it to overflow at idle. sooo... looks like its gonna have to go to a shop to have some work done! yay oh and when i look closely at the exhaust, i can see some steam building up in the inside of the pipe wall. not much, not blasting it out by any means, but its there. SHIIIIIIIIIT !!!!!!!!!!! anybody kow about how much i should expect for a head gasket fix?
#60 Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

IF that's all it is, not much more than $500.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3