Misfire codes - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
i will check for the oils tomorrow! good thought! and i sure as hell hope that is not the case... im really gettin dissapointed with this whole situation as of right now, i dont have the money for a head gasket replacement, no where near for that matter. Yes i am adding coolant, i turn the car on, take the cap off, every time the tank is low, so i add water, and burp it and add water as needed, with the heater on full blast, i burp it untill the upper radiator hose is getting hot and pressurised and at that point it still seems to have bubbles coming out of it, but they are very small, dont know what that means, i just figured that was me getting the last little bits of air out, but it keeps draining somewhere, and i still have no heat. i cannot find a leak AT ALL. today after my lady got home, i had her rev the engine a bit while i watched the exhaust, this was done at normal running temp, and it was clear as clear gets, no sign whatsoever of water or steam. still waiting on the CEL from after i changed the plugs. will update in the morning about the oil in coolant check. OH and as a side note, when i looked at the used plugs, they all looked axactly the same, there wasnt one in particular that was any different from the other, i thought with a blown head gasket the cylinder that was taking on coolant would show in the plug...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

OK, checked for oil in the coolant tank, none, its was not oily in any way that i could tell. i opened the actual radiator cap (since its an aftermarket rad) and watched it as the engine was running, the coolant was moving a lot, hard to tell if there was bubbles but i think there was, it would surge a little from time to time, almost overflowing out of the hole. the tank by the turbo was low again, i didnt put anything in this time, just checking for oil. The coolant looked fine, no whitish sheen like you talked about either, im soooo confused!!!!!!
post #33 of 67 Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Hmmm....anyone else have any other ideas??? I'm about as confused as the op.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #34 of 67 Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hahaha... i guess thats not a good sign... well im gonna make an appt for a compression test, see what the results are, im out of ideas, so hope for the best. Thanks for all the input though! I will post the results
post #35 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ok man, best of luck. Keep an eye on this thread though maybe someone else will chime in.

Kevin.
post #36 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks i will, hopefully its just something stupid, but right now my hopes arent very high ..
post #37 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Maybe the cap isn't getting a good seal and letting some coolant escape when pressure gets built up?
The reason why your heater is not working is most likely because the coolant is so low, does the heater work when you refill the radiator?
Still no luck with the Misfire codes either?
Not sure any other ideas I could give you there man sry.

Keep your head up.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #38 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i replaced both caps (radiator and filler tank by turbo) no heat when i fill it, no leaks inside car to indicate bad heater core. well i havend had the CEL come back on after i changed the plugs, but i can tell its still misfiring, so im sure its only a matter of time.
post #39 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

OK, got the results from a compression test, it all checks out fine! CEL came back on during the drive to AAMCO, and it read misfire in #2, and #4. so they are thinking either injectors, vlaves, or the ignition circuit somewhere. i didnt have them check anything other than compression because i cant afford anything else right now, lol. so i have half a tank left from when i filled it with a bottle of injector cleaner added, i will try more on the next fill up, but is there a way to clean the valves at all? does seafoam do that? i have heard pretty good things about seafoam.
post #40 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It will help with cleaning the valves, I wouldn't hope that one time does the trick. Maybe after a few times it might clean it up. Run a full can of B12 in the tank and 1/3-1/2 in the BPV. Bet it's the coilpacks. But a SF/B12 treatment may just do the trick.

BTW... You car takes a CRAP ton of water/collant after a full flush/refill. So I take it your temp is always normal ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #41 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok, well worth a shot on the seafoam, just gotta find a good spot to do it, lol, im in an apartment comnplex and im sure they would be pissed if i smoked out the whole place.

What the hell is B12? and what and where is BPV? im gonna try to switch the coil packs around to see if the misfire follows them, hope it does.
as far as coolant goes, i have already put in about 1 1/2 gallons of WATER (because im trying to find leak) but the manual says it only takes about 2 gallons...? i guess maybe just the radiator holds 2? i will keep filling with water for now to see if i can gt it full and stay that way then switch to actual coolant.
and yes the temp stays normal, no high temp at all, well not anymore, when the coolant level went really low and the guage was fluctuating a bunch as it was pumping the coolant, i stopped and filled it, and it read a bit high a couple of time, but not too bad, after that it has been back to normal.
post #42 of 67 Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The BPV is the attachment that is in front of your intercooler on the bottom right side.
Just google a pic of it and your see what it looks like.

B12 is another cleaning agent for internal parts like Seafoam
Most people do Seafoam for the crankcase and B12 in the fuel tank.
Seafoam might do something for you, now that I think of it I seafoamed my Suby before I changed the plugs so maybe that might have helped my misfires.?

If your heater is not working with a full radiator then my next move would be the thermostat.

Let us know when you find where the hell all this fluid is going???

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #43 of 67 Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It has to be bubbles as Kevin stated... Not the easiest car to burp.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #44 of 67 Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Good call on the t-stat chuck, I didn't think about that. It may be stuck all the way open. Jake(assuming that's your name) the thermostat is on the bottom side where the lower radiator hose meets the engine block. since you have an aftermarket radiator, try filling it at the radiator itself. The plastic tank isn't a filler tank, more an overflow on this car.

Kevin.
post #45 of 67 Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

swesome! i didnt think about the t-stat, initially it did throw a code, but it doesnt anymore, maybe its all screwed up though. will be replaced for sure!!!

and i guess i will look for the b12 as well, and try it out too!
thanks everyone! i really appreciate all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement