Misfire codes - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Plugs and if not, the coils.

Get that timing belt done REAL soon

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Hopefully your lucky and its just plugs,CP's are expensive as hell!

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#18 Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
plugs are in the linup for next fix, do they do the timing belt with a tune up?
#19 Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

is it really bad to drive it while its misfiring? im not driving it far, just to work and back, probably 10 miles per day
#20 Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Make sure that your timing is on (pull covers, check marks) No, the t-belt is not part of a tune up, it's an expensive (or time consuming) job.

Do plugs, and while your at it, make sure there is spark at each before you start throwing more parts at the problem (coil packs) A simple inline spark tester will do (or a screw driver !) If there is no spark swap CP's around to be certain that you have a bad one. Unlikely to have three bad !

Next check that there is a pulse at each injector (stethoscope will work) If you have spark, and injectors are firing, next step IMO would be a compression test. It's not uncommon for high mileage EJ20's to exhibit misfires because of valve lash (out of spec) Low compression will confirm this. I kind of doubt that is going to be your issue, since you're showing misfires on more than two cylinders. I wouldn't be getting "on it" until the problem is solved, but if you have to depend on it for transportation, just baby it.

Cullen
#21 Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

im not sure how to check for spark on a car like this, i am used to having spark plug wires and all that, how would i go about it with a screwdriver? i know i have spark because it is still running, lol, but maybe its not sufficient?
#22 Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
You gotta get creative, or use one of these (and still get a little creative):

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...ch47SbMFAuYmvg

You need to confirm consistent spark at all cylinders. Another method is to get under the car when running and measure temps at each cylinder by pointing a pyrometer right at the head next to the exhaust manifold (pick the same spot for all 4) A properly running engine will have consistent temps.

Cullen
#23 Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

OK, so CEL came back on today, so i checked it, got a P0304. as of right now it looks like it might only be misfiring one cylinder. i will check it tomorrow too, to see if it added more onto the list, but does this narrow anything down at all? im still confused why it read 3 separate cylinders before. oh, and if it helps, i get a little bit of gas smell from the engine compartment while the engine is running, but i cannot pinpoint it. any ideas on how to figure that out?
#24 Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Make sure that the fuel pump lines are all secure and not leaking. If its only up front that's the best place to start. Trace the lines and see if you see any leaks.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 05-23-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: stupid predictive text...
#25 Old 05-23-2012, 05:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Look at your injectors as well

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#26 Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

ok i'm changing my plugs today, and i was wondering if there is any way to check or clean the coil packs? i have some MAF sensor cleaner, would that clean off any contact surfaces? it was just an idea i had, and i figure if i'm already in there i might as well clean what i can
#27 Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Plugs have been changed! no improvement what-so-ever. im gettin pissed now, lol. i guess my next step will be compression check. oh and i still have no heat from the heater, i have burped it multiple times now, and it has consumed a whole gallon of water in the fill tank by the turbo... any thoughts? no steam from exhaust and the oil looks and smell perfect. the coolant(mostly water now) doesnt smell like anything unusual, i cant spot any leaks anywhere and no steam or anything coming from the engine compartment.
#28 Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Is it low everytime you open it?? If so you have to have a leak somewhere. If there are no drips visible then its gotta be the head gasket. I dunno man. Sounds like a bit of a pickle.
Ps. When you are looking at the fill tank by the turbo, there isn't a whitish sheen in there is there?

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 05-26-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: ps
#29 Old 05-26-2012, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes it seems to be low every time i open it. i thought head gasket but i cant see any white smoke, maybe i will have my old lady rev the engine a little for me while i look from the back. i didnt notice a white sheen, you mean in the fluid right? i can take pics if necesary, or if it would help, but im not sure how to upload them on here. oh and do you know what shops suck as AAMCO use for a compression test? is it the same thing you can but from an auto parts store with the purple liquid? or do they use something else?
#30 Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not sure on the last question. As for the filler tank, take your finger and run it around the inside of the lip. If its oily or feels like you stuck your finger in a jar of grease you may have oil getting in with your coolant.(which would Indicate the head gasket. Let's hope this isn't the case. Quick question, when you are burping the coolant, are you continuing to add fluid until the bubbles stop and the tank is full and stays there? You want the coolant level to be as full as possible when you do this. That's what the overflow tank is next to the radiator.

Kevin.