misfire CE light tied to fuel line recall? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
misfire CE light tied to fuel line recall?

my son has a 2002 WRX with 133K on it, and living in NH we just received the recall notice for the fuel line problem (yes, we do have a gas smell on cold mornings).

The check engine light has come on a few times over the past year, I don't remember the actual code, but it was for multiple cylinder misfires. The car seems to run fine, I just reset the code, then it comes on a month later.

My question is, before I bring the car to our local mechanic to look at the check engine code, does anyone think that the leaking fuel line/recall issue could be causing this problem? I just hate to bring it to my mechanic and have him go through it, replacing things that don't need replacing (plugs were replace 20K ago) if it's the fuel line problem causing the CE code.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you taking it in to the dealer for the recall on the fuel issue ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
Yes, I'll be taking it to the local dealer to take care of the recall, but due to the prices dealers charge, I'd rather have my local guy look at the misfire code instead of the dealer.

Just a note about taking it to the dealer. I called the dealer last week to make an appointiment for it, and since it said it was a 2.5 hour job, I asked for a Sat. appointment. The dealer told me the last WRX they had in for that recall took 2 days, and said whenever they removed one part, another broke. They also went on to say that Subaru would only cover the parts listed in the recall, and if other items broke in the proces, they would not be responsible for the cost of those parts. It almost sounded as if they didn't want to do the job... and it has me concerned that it could end up costing me a bit.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknuuttune View Post
Just a note about taking it to the dealer. I called the dealer last week to make an appointiment for it, and since it said it was a 2.5 hour job, I asked for a Sat. appointment. The dealer told me the last WRX they had in for that recall took 2 days, and said whenever they removed one part, another broke. They also went on to say that Subaru would only cover the parts listed in the recall, and if other items broke in the proces, they would not be responsible for the cost of those parts. It almost sounded as if they didn't want to do the job... and it has me concerned that it could end up costing me a bit.
Wow, that is not at all subtle. I would avoid that dealership for sure, they said everything short of promising to damage your car on purpose. They might just be telling you the truth but they are at the very least implying that should expect to open your wallet. You might want to weigh your options again of gas smell vs. the added cost of time and money to take it to the dealer.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #5 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
Well, I suppose if I do decide not to take it to the dealer to have it fixed, and the line actually bursts, then I would be in a heap of trouble.........
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Yes, I'll be taking it to the local dealer to take care of the recall, but due to the prices dealers charge, I'd rather have my local guy look at the misfire code instead of the dealer.

They are correct that other parts can break, but that's why they're a dealer who should have professionally trained mechanics who don't break stuff under normal circumstances. Dealers don't instantly get money for performing recall repairs, but they do get paid for them, so they should treat you no differently than any other customer. If there are any more dealers in your area, I'd take it there, but the other point is that they can only charge you for parts directly linked to that recall that would have broken due to normal wear. The opposite is like me working on your car to change the oil, then starting it before filling it back up and saying I can't be held liable for your engine rod knock. There's a level of professional responsibility that I would address. They have to do the repair free of charge for recalls because it poses some sort of safety hazard. (Companies weigh the cost of repair vs. the cost of lawsuits if they don't repair it and someone gets hurt)

Without specifically looking at the car I can't be certain, but I seriously doubt the recall has anything to do with the CEL. An engine misfire usually has more to do with ignition, aka spark. Whether that comes from the coil, distributor, or spark plugs themselves. In the morning when it's cold you'll often smell fuel coming from the exhaust because the car runs rich in "closed loop." If, when the car's warmed up you don't smell it anymore I wouldn't think you had a fuel leak anywhere. You can also get that same effect from the catalytic converter or O2 sensors failing giving a mis-reading and there not being a misfire at all, although the ignition thing is more likely.

Make sure to post your findings, as that will help others more in the future who may have the same problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
Honda fan, curious that you mentioned the O2 sensors and the cat. Often I would get two different codes thrown at the same time, one for the misfires, and one for a cat problem (low efficiency code, or something similar.)

Last week the car went in for inspection and the cat code appeared (no misfire code this time). He found a bad rear O2 sensor, and a small crack in the cat. I had both sensors replaced, and he welded the crack in the cat (he said it looked fine inside).

After driving it a week the misfire code reappeared (but no cat code).

Any thoughts now?

Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What codes are you getting ? Or what codes WERE you getting. Might help DX the issue.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tknuuttune is an unknown
Off the top of my head I don't remember the codes, but it was misfires in cyl. 1, 3 & 4 I believe. Car does run fine, and my local guy couldn't find anything really obviouis, so the car is at the dealers now to do the fuel line recall, and I'm going to have the dealer check it out. I'll post when then tell me what they found.