Mild clicking gone to loud banging - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

gonphysion is an unknown
Exclamation Mild clicking gone to loud banging

My 05 wrx has about 70k miles and has always had some valve noise since the day I bought it new, but this is completely different. Something is wrong for sure. Never had over head cam motor before but this sound is like a solid lifter noise times 100. Do boxer engines have hydrolic lifters? Car still runs smooth but I'm afraid to drive it.

Oh and by the way noise started after bouncing off the rev limiter a few times as I was blowing the doors off a late model acura trying to keep up with me as we drove through some tight curves.

Some bolt on mods intercooler, up pipe, down pipe, header, cold air intake, pop off valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I vote a conrod issue.. Either a spun bearing or you effed a rod up. Probably spun bearing... Bouncing off the rev limiter is bad.

I'm gonna go on a tangent and say you've never had the car tuned for those mods?

-Chris
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

gonphysion is an unknown
your right nevertuned for the mods
post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
No tune? Welcome to the land of possibly getting new heads and shortblock. Basically a whole new Longblock. I hope you have money saved up for that. That set-up drastically needed a tune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Are you still driving it ? If your not sure the where the noise is coming from, it's probably best not to drive it. Rod knock is pretty much terminal, and you will kind of instinctually know not to run it. Shooting a short video with audio will help a bunch. Just running at idle, and moving the camera/mic around the engine is the way to do it so we can help you online. If you are still driving it, I'm a little over two hours away from you in Taos, N.M. I could meet you in Alamosa or somewhere halfway to help you diagnose. Shoot me a PM
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

gonphysion is an unknown
No as soon as I heard the niose I stopped driving the car and borrowed a friends car hauler and took it home. The noise seems to be more of a tick than a knock you typicly here with a spun bearing, but it is very loud. At work now so I will send PM as soon as I can. Thanx for your offer to help wagon racer.My house is actualy south of Pagosa. I've been to Taos before and the way to go is through Chama.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's correct and it happens to be an awesome drive !