Mid Clutch Swap and STUCK - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

fastwrx4me is an unknown
Exclamation Mid Clutch Swap and STUCK

Okay, I'm mid-clutch swap on my 03 WRX.

I've dropped the drive shaft, shifting linkage, pulled the 6 bolts on the bell of the transmission, and the two nuts off the posts (these are on the bottom left and right of the transmission). The problem is, there are two studs on either side of the trasmission 1/2 way up just below the turbo on the right and where the starter would be, on the left.

Bottom line... How Do I get this thing seperated ! I've tried PB Blast on this thing...no love. I can't get a straight flat bar into the gap between the bell and the engine to create any type of leverage and the shop I'm at doesn't have one long enough that I can smack it good and hard w/ a BFH.

Rocking the tranny up and down does nothing for this, and side to side has gotten the right side off but zero movement for the left side.

Any ideas are certainly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
These can be a real pain in the ass, there are a couple of things you can try...

first, i would try jacking the back of the tranny up, to make sure it is level, this will help in pulling it out.

if that doesnt work, i would try to slighty easy some sort of pry bar in their, starting with the right side and "gently" prying it all the way around.

Lastly, if none of these methods work, you can use a blow torch to heat the surrounding metal on the tranny around the stud. this would help loosen it, but make sure you wipe away any wd-40 or pb blaster thats still there.

also, it is important to remember that before you separate the engine and the tranny, you have to remove the shift fork. you do this by undoing the hex nut under the starter, and screwing a bolt into the horizontal shaft. once the bolt is screwed in, you can remove the horizontal shaft by pulling it straight out and twisting and then just pull the fork loose off the throw out bearing
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04paulieWRX View Post
also, it is important to remember that before you separate the engine and the tranny, you have to remove the shift fork. you do this by undoing the hex nut under the starter, and screwing a bolt into the horizontal shaft. once the bolt is screwed in, you can remove the horizontal shaft by pulling it straight out and twisting and then just pull the fork loose off the throw out bearing
I'm pretty sure this is your problem. Me and 3 of my friends got this point and absolutely destroyed my pressure plate prying past the teeth on it, yanking on it with a prybar. We had no idea of the fork bolt removal. If this isn't the problem, I'll buy you a beer.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 01:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
yea but he would be able to see the gap before the shift fork became a problem, how about you just buy both of us beers.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ha, I had a decent gap. We kept prying and prying and eventually got a loud pop, followed by about 6 more before it came loose and then it was clear the pops were the teeth on the pressure plate popping past the throughout bearing.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Replacing your clutch

Read through this and you should be able to find where you went wrong.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
i had this same problem pulling my tranny... it was the guide dowels(sp?) on the engine block that were rusted beyond belief. soak the two dowels in PB blaster and let it sit for awhile, he!! go get a beer while you wait and then try it again, assuming that is whats causing the problem. if not, you have an excuse to go get a tall frosty one.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
If the throw out fork wrist pin is removed then it is Dowel pins. If the motor and transmission have been together for some time they sieze.. I know mine were. I honestly had to take a chissel and pry the two apart. I started at the pin locations (half way up on both sides) and worked my way around. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! Do your best to NOT mark up the matting surfaces.. With some patience and time it will seperate..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement