Massive oil leak & smoke-Torn Down Still Puzzled - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

NJJDC2 is an unknown
Massive oil leak & smoke-Torn Down Still Puzzled

'02 WRX 2.0

Let someone else drive the car they called and said blowing massive amounts of smoke and barely running. I go to pick up the car with the trailer and the car starts but is leaking massive amounts of oil from the front right corner near #1, but can't see exactly where coming from due to exhaust, timing covers, etc. There was about a quart of oil on the ground and undercarriage of this car, not just a little leak.

Brought home, filled with oil and car starts fine but smoking like a fooger, blew the dip stick out and when pulled the vent tube from the 1-3 bank valve cover it is blowing serious smoke out of it. I figure the guy was beating the car and blew head gasket, piston or worse, even though claims wasn't and decide to pull the motor.

There is a lot of oil present in the IC and throttle body Even with all the parts off still can't see any evidence of where the oil was pouring out of, pull the head and find no visible cracks or indication of blown gasket but #3 cylinder seems to have an excessive amount of oil in it. Pull piston out and it and the rings appear fine.

I'm a small block Chevy guy and this is my first experience with turbo imports. Someone suggested that all of this could be caused by a bad turbo seal.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Turbo seals do go out and do leak oil... but I've never seen like a quart or so coming out....

Good luck.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
could be rings...

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So where was the oil dripping or spewing from other than in the corner... there lies your answer (at least a start).

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

NJJDC2 is an unknown
It wasn't leaking from anywhere else and there was no oil around the turbo itself. It was pouring like a stream from somewhere near the right head when I went to load on the trailer and when started it again to take off, but there was no obvious leak source found and with that much oil all over everything from him driving it for a while like that it is extremely hard to tell.

I guess my question is really has anyone ever had a bad turbo pressurize the case so much through the oil return that it leaks this bad?

At this point we're probably going to re-ring it any way since it's apart and most likely change out the turbo. I just don't like problems with no real reason.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement