Low RPM Missfires - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Low RPM Missfires

Has anyone else seen low RPM (1000-1500) misfires. I have been feeling a little stumble as I come into parking lots etc. With only slight throttle and RPMs around 1000-1500. I decided to log some and sure enough I am getting misfires when I feel the stumble. I have no CEL. This has been happening for about 4 or 5 months. There are no issues when you hammer it, it is smooth as glass and I have not seen any misfires at speed.

It's and 09 WRX with about 67K. I am going to change the plugs, soon I hope.

09 WRX K&N Typhoon Walbro 255 SPT BG AEM UEGO Tactrix2.0 XPT Stocks + Winter wheels w/Dunlop WS 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
I always thought it would throw a CEL. I have a 02 and it has a little "stumble" I guess you could say, but I always thought it was from the boxer engine.
#3 Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Could be a junked up Injector as well. Or even a bad coilpack

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
I have noticed that when this happens my AFR goes rich around 12-13. I would think this means it is getting fuel it just isn't being burned for some reason. Leads me to believe it is ignition related.

I hope this isn't indications of something serious. If it were cracked ringlands I would see more consistent misfires through out the RPM range right?

09 WRX K&N Typhoon Walbro 255 SPT BG AEM UEGO Tactrix2.0 XPT Stocks + Winter wheels w/Dunlop WS 3D
#5 Old 07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you smoking ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Are you smoking ?
No smoke that I can see. Hopefully going to change the plugs this week some time.

#7 Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Then it's not yur ringlands....

Report back how fun the plugs were.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ummm I have a question? Your signature says XPT, are you running one of the XPT maps on your car?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Plugs were probably done at 30k... So I bet if you change them you will be all good.

Mike
#10 Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I highly doubt that your plugs are causing this. Sounds like you have some other physical problem with the car.
#11 Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarnham View Post
Plugs were probably done at 30k... So I bet if you change them you will be all good.
Subaru puts iridium or platinum plugs in every turbo charged car and they are suppost to last 60k.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Ummm I have a question? Your signature says XPT, are you running one of the XPT maps on your car?
Yes, it is the stage 1 map. Braden tweeked this tune for my set up, so its not truely an OTS tune.

I thought these cars came with platinum plugs? I thought I saw that somewhere. Anyway I bet they need to be replaced. Increased boost, fuel, and RPM. I am sure that will shorten the life.

I drive 60 plus miles today with no misfires. However, if you just sit idling and give the slightest trottle it will stuble sometimes and you will see misfires accross all four cylinders. According to RR this happens around 6-7% trottle opening.

If it's not the plugs I wonder if it could be something to do with the drive by wire system or a flakely TPS.

#13 Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewdWRX View Post
Yes, it is the stage 1 map. Braden tweeked this tune for my set up, so its not truely an OTS tune.

I thought these cars came with platinum plugs? I thought I saw that somewhere. Anyway I bet they need to be replaced. Increased boost, fuel, and RPM. I am sure that will shorten the life.

I drive 60 plus miles today with no misfires. However, if you just sit idling and give the slightest trottle it will stuble sometimes and you will see misfires accross all four cylinders. According to RR this happens around 6-7% trottle opening.

If it's not the plugs I wonder if it could be something to do with the drive by wire system or a flakely TPS.
I'd compare your current map with the stock one and see the difference in the tip in enrichment...Bet you it's different?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
From what my dealership has said. They put platinum plugs in when they change them. So, take that with a grain of salt. But, that is what they said is in there originally as well.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
what does it mean when you have a puff of smoke that comes from the muffler i just notice it when i was in 3rd and i downshifted to turn and i looked back and there was a cloud of smoke is this something serious it only happen 2 times tho