Low boost issues - experts advise needed here. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Myzkoo is an unknown
Low boost issues - experts advise needed here.

Alright, dunno were to start but i think i'll start with a mod list, then try to describe my problem and what ive done so far with no gains.

IHI VF34 Turbo
EcuteK tuned ECU
3" downpipe with a racecat followed by a 666 evilpipe catback exhaust.
Aftermarket up-pipe.
255l/h walbro pump.
GFB hybrid BOV
Green cotton panel filter.
1 step colder sparkplugs.

The story is, ive had this car for quite a while and it has always peaked at 1,4 bars of boost and then settled at 1,35 bar. But since like 6 or 7 weeks ago it peaks at only 0,6-0,7 bar of boost? BUT, when i pull the hose from the wastegate acutator i'll hit boost pretty quick, have been very carefull here but have been up to 1,2 bar a few times. Engine runs like normal except for the boost, no misses or what so ever.

Ive done this so far in the order i'll stack em up:

- Changed the boost controll solenoid. No difference here.
- Changed all vac-lines, and yes i put the restrictor pill into the new line, and yes, it the right line to also changed the T at the same point.
- Battery went out over the night (2 times)
- Borrowed the MAF and the MAP-sensor from a friend who is also owning a 2004 WRX. No difference.
- Removed intercooler and checked all hoses and reinstalled.
- Leak tested trough the inlet of the turbo all the way to the intake were the intercooler attaches to the throttlebody (steady 1,5 bar here and no signs of leaks).
- Pressure tested the acutator, seems like it looks good to me, not stuck and open and closes as it should
- Soldered a 12v lightbulb into the wires running to the boost solenoid, had it in front of my eyes while driving and the signal seems ok, light is pulsing.
- Put a clean vac-line directly from the compressorhousing to the acutator (without pill) and boost peaks at 0,3 bar. Had the solenoid still connected but lines were plugged.
- Also tried to do the EcuteK boost map switch to see if that was enabled it the ecu, it was not. (ignition on, full throttle and press rear window heater to on)

Have talked to my EcuTek tuner to and he keeps saying that the ecu has to be ok. Its like 6 hours of traveling to get there so we been trying to solve this over phone.

Im running out of ideas, only thing i have left to do, i think, is to bring the downpipe down to see if the wastegate flap is still there and if its sealing. Will do this next weekend.

Tips and tricks are more than welcome!!

/ Mattias, Sweden.

Last edited by Myzkoo; 03-10-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
With the engine running take a can of brake cleaner and spray it in different areas around hoses and vacuum lines and listen to see if you can hear the engine change sounds, if it does you might of found a leak you over looked other than that its hard to tell without having the vehicle in front of me

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#3 Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Myzkoo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
With the engine running take a can of brake cleaner and spray it in different areas around hoses and vacuum lines and listen to see if you can hear the engine change sounds, if it does you might of found a leak you over looked other than that its hard to tell without having the vehicle in front of me
Will do that to just to have it done..

/ Mattias, Sweden.