Subaru WRX Forum banner

loud turbo spooling

12K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  thekamikaze kid 
#1 ·
because of the great weather i decided to really get on it today and since the car has been babied all winter that may be the problem but i wanted to make sure. when i step on it the turbo seems to spool much louder than normal. i really noticed it when it was louder than my sound system. the car seems to be running great otherwise and is pulling hard as ever. just wondering if this is something i should be worried about. I do have a cobb sr and cobb stage 1 ots tune. these mods were done last summer though. any input would be great.

#7 ·
I get a loud kind of squeal when I'm at full boost. Not really sure if it has to do with the weather though. I think it's just my wastegate. I've tried to diagnose it as a bunch of different things but no conclusive answer. Hopefully its not hurting anything and your turbo is just loud. I wish mine was louder, like a F-350 turbo diesel. I can hear my neighbors from blocks away

#8 ·
its the turbo spooling, i hear air getting sucked in and i can hear the turbine spin like a whistling sound. its just super loud all of a sudden. its also spooling much earlier. in the morning it wasnt like that and later it just started spooling real loud. im hoping its just the weather. im gonna do a data log today or tomorrow to see how im boosting.

#12 ·
kamikaze kid,
We need your map specs before we can confirm overboost, but you are not overboosting for this map:

Stage1 91 v310: Boost Targets: ~14.5psi peak boost pressure tapering down to ~12.0psi by the 7250RPM redline, +/- 1.0 psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.