Loud Ticking From Driver Side. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

4Banger2002 is an unknown
Loud Ticking From Driver Side.

Ok so here it goes,
02 wrx 29k miles with the COBB stage 3 set up
vf39,sti injectors,sti TMIC, Cobb intake with box, DW300LPH FP, GS AOS, invidia up-pipe and turbo back exhaust, brand new coils and plugs, LW crank pulley, and a bunch of suspension parts.

Took the car to innovative tuning in Buffalo NY for its pro-tune and they would not tune the car due to a slightly loud tick on the driver side. Brought the car to 4 other shops and they al told me it was the "subaru tick" and that it drivers perfect. Which it did, it would pull like a bad ass and i didnt have one problem with it. I replaced coils and lugs after they told me that and nothing happened. I do not have one step coder plugs in. just NGK iridiums.
so now a few months later a couple weeks ago i was racing at the strip and ran 4 times in a row, the car then went into limp mode with flashing CEL i immediatly pulled over and ran the code with a cylinder 4 missfire. got the car home via tow bed then started it up and it ran perfect again!?!? wth? so drove the car for a couple days then it happened again! so swapped the plug out of four and put it in 2 and the missfire followed so i changed the plug and it went away but when i rev the car it seems lumpier then usual. took the car back up to innovative tuning 3 days ago and the said the same thing about the ticking, me being me i signed the waiver and told them i want to tune it. so we shot for 280WHP but no matter what adjustments he made the car would stay at 260WHP and would not move with even adding 5 PSI . He said hes done many cars with same setups and got over 280whp. The car is holding back power, the Tuners say i have a bad shim in one of those cylinders but how!? it only has 29k miles!? Is this a common problem with the 02 wrx? now when i drive the car around it sometimes feels like its being pull backwards like it loses power as if i turned on the AC. and a full pul it does it as well, but not everytime. Valve clearance issue? What do you all think? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

anyone?
#3 Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
At any point, did you do a compression test? a video of the sound would help.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#4 Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Has your car really been driven less than 3,000 miles per year on average? In other words, is that the original engine?

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#5 Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

sorry for the late response but yes, it now has 31k miles and will be stopping due to winter coming so she will be packed away once again!
#6 Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
At any point, did you do a compression test? a video of the sound would help.
not yet but i will soon , sometimes i have full power and everything is great then other days its like i left the AC on.. ?
#7 Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
I'm new to subarus... But on all the dsms I have tuned the knock sensor would pick up lifter tick (same as subaru tick, has to do with lifters and oiling)... If subarus have decently sensitive knock sensors you could be pulling timing sometimes due to the sensor picking up the tick... I always went with 5w40 or even thicker oils and it seemed to quiet it down and keep it quiet enough to get the knock sensor to shut up.

But the rest of the guys are right, post a video of it... Most likely it's a loud lifter tick...

In all my cars I've either used 10w40 royal purple or 5w40 rotella t6, and I always use the engine restore stuff, I don't believe that it restores horsepower or anything like that, just in my experience with ticks and tuning the addatives in it has helped tremendously with valvetrain noises...

If I were you I'd go to some rotella t6 full synthetic and a can of restore, along with a good filter.
Just my $0.02

Also be aware that tensioners can make slapping noises, when's the last time you've had your timing belt done or at least checked the tension? That could cause major problems.
#8 Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
It's not common, but it's not unknown in higher mileage cars. Not sure what might have caused it.
#9 Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mcd View Post
I'm new to subarus... But on all the dsms I have tuned the knock sensor would pick up lifter tick (same as subaru tick, has to do with lifters and oiling)... If subarus have decently sensitive knock sensors you could be pulling timing sometimes due to the sensor picking up the tick... I always went with 5w40 or even thicker oils and it seemed to quiet it down and keep it quiet enough to get the knock sensor to shut up.

But the rest of the guys are right, post a video of it... Most likely it's a loud lifter tick...

In all my cars I've either used 10w40 royal purple or 5w40 rotella t6, and I always use the engine restore stuff, I don't believe that it restores horsepower or anything like that, just in my experience with ticks and tuning the addatives in it has helped tremendously with valvetrain noises...

If I were you I'd go to some rotella t6 full synthetic and a can of restore, along with a good filter.
Just my $0.02

Also be aware that tensioners can make slapping noises, when's the last time you've had your timing belt done or at least checked the tension? That could cause major problems.
Thank you for the response. I run valvoline full synthetic with a gold purolator fiter, 5w30 but also use 1qt of lucas and i dont think it helped any. i will post a video of the ticking very soon and link it to the thread. but yes when i was getting the car tuned the tuner said i was getting small amounts of knock here and there.