Subaru WRX Forum banner

Lost another Subaru WRX motor at Mosport GP (big track)

7K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the video of the final laps before the built motor in my WRX let go, including datalog from a previous session.

Motor was built for this, but I will be regretting not getting the toilet bowl baffle suggested or KillerB larger capacity oil pan if it turns out that this is (again) oil starvation on the big track (turn 3). Here's a video:

Lost another Subaru WRX motor at Mosport GP big track. Link here:
https://youtu.be/uxc-C_qzWfc

Lost power up the back straight and limped to the pits where it stalled. Restarted with an awful clatter, and it sounds like I dropped a valve.

Heads were reconditioned items from BuiltEJ, who is a reputable supplier. Motor was built by Gord Bush Performance, who knows what they are doing.

Oiling and detonation kill our beloved Subaru motors, this one an EJ205 with KillerB oil pickup and baffle with a stock WRX pan. The last one spun a bearing at this same track with the same CEL but without any of this clatter upon startup.

Yes it sucks. :(

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I might grab one of those for mine. Is it just a gasket up to and a gasket on bottom sandwiched between the block and your oil pan? That or maybe a Killer B oil pickup.
Thanks guys for the sentiments, I have my moments but am staying positive and keeping myself busy researching replacement options.

I haven't run the Cosworth baffle so I don't know Jason, but the car Club guys think the best wet sump setup for the track is a Cosworth baffle plus a KillerB oil pan. Here's an image of the Cosworth WRX oil pan baffle installed:

http://www.mocomracing.com/dbimages/CosworthSTibaffleplateMocomRacingfitted.jpg

The KillerB oil pan has 30% more oil, just like the '15 WRX stock pan. Not great for DIY oil changes, but great to avoid oil starvation at the track.

I am already running a have a KillerB pickup.

Good news though, look what EJ205 option I found in my home town:

JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 EJ20T EJ205 2.0L TURBO AVCS ENGINE 2002-2003-2004-2005
JDM Japan Direct Japanese Auto Parts JDM Engine JDM Engines JDM Part JDM Parts JDM Transmission JDM Transmissions :: Subaru :: JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 EJ20T EJ205 2.0L TURBO AVCS ENGINE 2002-2003-2004-2005

With AVCS, turbo, ECU, wiring an more! :D

Attachments

#7 ·
Stay positive. Shit happens. It's just another bump in the road of life.

I can't say I'd listen to my advice if I were you. I felt ignorant and violated and like nobody could relate. I would suggest getting some small piece of busted after you rip it all open and ceremonially and thoroughly destroying it. Getting some feeling of control over the thing can at least make you feel better.

We feel for your pain. Stick with it.

#8 ·
Quick update. This might turn out Ok after all. :)

It broke the bank but I picked up an Ver 7 STi motor (EJ207) from an importer, out of a 2002-2003 JDM STi. Apparently it's handbuilt by Subaru, has a IHI VF30 turbo and comes complete with intercooler, wiring, JDM ECU ect.

We had it towed/delivered it to a private shop today (Jun 30) and if all goes well will be driving it by American Independence day. Woo hoo!

It's a drive by cable motor with AVCS. I will need a wiring harness adapter to get the signals to the AVCS and a protune - Egads! No more COBB maps for me.

As long as I use my USDM ECU then I'll avoid emissions issues, and I'll replace the timing belt now as well.

Attachments

#10 ·
Update on the built motor that failed. I had a tear in the intake duct next to the turbo band clamp, and the clamp was not tight - a maintenance issue.

Was running lean - and therefore hot - because of this, as you can see by the white in the turbine discharge. We saw the same white on the plugs.

Coolant and exhaust temperatures seemed normal (196/1100 F) - even at the track - and the intake duct tear never triggered a code (CEL). A little ironic in a way, because I have a Perrin turbo inlet standing by to go on this motor, but never got around to pulling the intake.

We'll take it apart shortly and I'll give you an update. Hopefully it is salvageable and I can use it as a spare. I seem to need one.

Attachments

#11 ·
Be careful with that Perrin inlet. After 8 months mine shrunk and I could barely clamp it on to the turbo and when I could with it as tight as possible (T bolt clamp even) it would slip off after driving.

#16 ·
This worries me cause my Perrin almost comes off the turbo sometimes, no matter how tight you clamp it. Chris ( @Epictofer ) had the same problem.
Yes the Perrin over time shrunk because in the beginning it fit perfectly. I clamped as hard as I possibly could and then it would slip off in a matter of minutes. My tuner told me I was the 20th person he heard about that happening to them. He stopped using them I guess unless people specifically asked.

Oh and to what I am using... well I am going rotated as soon as possible so I went with a ebay special. This one was actually a few inches longer and fitment was good. I dont expect it to last long though

#14 · (Edited)
Some progress on the EJ207 transplant. I'm getting excited. :)

Here are some specs:

V7 are single scroll, AVCS, throttle by cable, topfeed injectors, engines.
The TGV are deleted from the factory, but the TGV partition wall inside the TGV body is not. The factory deletion is incomplete, even on the Spec C and even on the Type RA.
The exhaust is compatible all the way to the downpipe to the USDM WRX/Sti.
The oil pan is like the USDM WRX 2.0
The Turbo is the VF30.
The ECU has the same number and shape harness plugs as the USDM WRX 2.0.
There is no immobilizer.
The engine speed is limited from the factory at 8000rpm

Thanks @psinuse for helping me select the right motor for a seamless transplant. :)

Attachments

#15 ·
All I did was explain the benefits and the ease of installation. Also switch to the STi oil pan as we discussed and all should be right with the world. Now all you need is a twin scroll set up and you'd be roaring up the highway of life with a smile from ear to ear.

#17 ·
Installed a good EJ207 now and I am back on the road. Hallelujah!

Getting a front O2 sensor CEL so I'll replace that tomorrow and clear the code. I have an engine tune booked with Neetronics early next week. Will I be able to use the COBB AP for gauges and to manage CELs still, or do I no longer need it?

Andy - from Neetronics - says to run Ultra 94 and stay away from high load until they can get it tuned.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
@man show - Note the subtle black Perrin intake duct in the engine bay picture above. One of the very few mods it has.

@GSMNZ My install team runs a Perrin intake duct on his bugeye WRX and has had no issues so maybe it's the climate. Either way we'll keep an eye on it.

The only other mods are a turbo-back exhaust and a COBB boost controller - the controller we are not using until we get the tune.

#19 ·
Replaced the front O2 sensor in the WRX exhaust manifold myself, and the check engine light went away immediately. This is good. :)

Cramped quarters but otherwise not too challenging, thanks to the previous owner who notched the heat shield to make it easily removable.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Ver 7 drive by cable, V30 ball bearing turbo, forged pistons, big-port heads, hand built, 8000 rpm redline - this little motor is pretty sweet. :)

With my turbo-back exhaust and a 3-port boost controller it made 269 wHp @ 6400 rpm and 250 TQ on Ultra 94 petrol. He said it's is about the same TQ and +10 Hp more than a bigger displacement '12 STi, as a point of reference. Maximum boost was 18.2 psi on the dyno.

Think I'll get a JDM STi gauge cluster to suit it now. :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.