Loss of power between 4000-5000 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

newwrxowner is an unknown
Loss of power between 4000-5000

I have a 04 wrx 5 speed. I just noticed that at WOT my car will come into boost like normal then hesitate around 3,800 rpm then seem to lose all power until it slowly climbs to 5,000 then its like someone flicked a light switch and all power comes back until redline. Its always been somewhat unsmooth throughout the powerband but today was especially noticable (it was almost 90 degress today). I hooked up my glowshift boost gauge and noticed no boost fluxuations, it builds up to about 13 then drops to about 10 by redline. Ive recently replaced the fuel filter. The cars only mod is Invidia N1 catback. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Any codes/ engine light?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

No there is no codes or lights
#4 Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I found a similar problem on nasioc, the guy put in one step colder plugs and never replied, so that might have done it for him. The fact that it's run crappy for a while tells me it could be plug problems that finally came to a head.

Is it tuned? I'm guessing no...

-Brandon
#5 Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
are you sure it's just a catback, I had a buddy whose car ran similar to that with an aftermarket DP and no tune

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 07-17-2010, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ive thought about going to a colder plug but driving it tonight it didnt seem nearly as bad but still not entirely smooth through the powerband. Ive never had the car tuned. When i bought the car it had a cobbled together cat back exhaust with a prodrive muffler and a 3" test pipe or mid pipe (which ever its called, the pipe right after the dp that connects to the cat back). It does still have the stock DP. What type of plugs would you recommend going to?
#7 Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Stick with stock. You dont need to go to one step. Im running a 20G turbo with stock range plugs and no issues or problems. But if you want to since you are contemplating changing them go to one step colder, it wont realyl hurt anything.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
From all I've read they say 1step colder per 100hp over stock. Not sure where that comes from but that's what I've seen.

-Chris
#9 Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

808subbie is an unknown
sounds like normal wear on an engine ignition parts, try to replace the plugs and wires, and coil packs and you should be fine. if not then we have somthing interesting to think about hehe
#10 Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'm not sure what it IS, but I'm gonna say it's not that^

There's no ignition wires boss. And coil packs all the way around? Expensive. He's not getting a misfire code like he would if one or two weren't firing.

-Brandon
#11 Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Alright I picked up some new NGK plugs today which are just the factory spec. Ill be replacing them today and see if that fixes it.
#12 Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
From all I've read they say 1step colder per 100hp over stock. Not sure where that comes from but that's what I've seen.
I have read both. And actually talked to my tuners, builders and several other people. I have been running stock plugs since buying the car. Im getting ready for my 3rd set (only at 30,xxx miles) but fouled one when first swapped for my 20G, was going to go one step colder but my shop said not necessary. And now with my build Im getting another set and had long emails and phone conversations about what to run and they said that stock range was still fine (stock WRX around 170AWHP; my car at 329 AWHP). They served their purpose for me so far with no issues at all so Im going to stick with them until other wise. Thats just my 2 cents and my experience, but each car is different and everyone has their own opinion.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I have read both. And actually talked to my tuners, builders and several other people. I have been running stock plugs since buying the car. Im getting ready for my 3rd set (only at 30,xxx miles) but fouled one when first swapped for my 20G, was going to go one step colder but my shop said not necessary. And now with my build Im getting another set and had long emails and phone conversations about what to run and they said that stock range was still fine (stock WRX around 170AWHP; my car at 329 AWHP). They served their purpose for me so far with no issues at all so Im going to stick with them until other wise. Thats just my 2 cents and my experience, but each car is different and everyone has their own opinion.
Yep, sounds like one of those things that won't hurt, but also why not if you're doing them. It's not like you're adding hp, just maybe lowering your egt's a bit which is always good.

I'll do 1 or 2 step colder once I build the block I have and go for some more power, but at that point I'm hoping to be closer to 200 hp over stock.

-Chris
#14 Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright just changed the plugs out and the electrodes of my old plugs came to a sharp point, so im assuming I was experiencing some ignition breakup. Now that I have new plugs in it its all smooth. Thanks to everyone for the help.
#15 Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Glad to hear that you got everything fixed and running good again.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"