Losing electrical power. - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By arcticscythe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
Losing electrical power.

Ok so I've been having this problem for a while now. 2003 WRX. Lights started dimming under heavy electric load. Then got worse. Abs light on and off. Now its cutting power completely, seemingly getting worse. Tach/speedo reset, trip tracker resetting, car acts like the ac conpressor is kicking on when turning the lights on. Replaced the alternator to no avail. Halp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2014, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Hows the battery testing? Is there any draw on the battery while the engine is off? When you turn the headlights on there is additional load on the alternator and it may adjust the engine idle to compensate for that, it may not. More testing is probably necessary.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Battery tested fine. Cleaned the ground points at the fenders and firewall with a dremel wire wheel. The one on the firewall behind the intercooler was in bad shape from a previous leak blowing crap on it. Seems to be running fine right now. Left tge ground in the intake manifold alone. And the last is on the tranny, iifc. Will check that one eventually. Water caps on battery...could they cause this?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2014, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful Epictofer is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
No those batteries should be non serviceable, meaning you don't need to add water or anything to them. the poor ground could have been the issue, but without knowing what that specific ground wire goes to I couldn't tell ya.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Cleaning up the Ground points was a great idea, In alot of cases its poor grounds that cause electrical "ghosts" in the system.

You may want to look into replacement grounding straps, you said you had a leak that tore up one of your grounding points. then its probably a good idea to swap out that strap

Grounding straps are just pieces of braided steel or copper wire with heavy gauge insulation and an eyelet at the end. Ive seen some really pretty ones in the past (HKS Earth) and ive seen some pretty ugly DIY home depot jobs but they all do the same thing. Acheiving a stable ground is what allows the vehicle to function under DC load so if things arent quite right and your battery and alternator are OK then a set of grounding straps if probably a good bet.

When i was building high wattage sound systems engine bay grounding was something we always added just to be safe, They arent expensive but they can make a hell of a difference when your pushing higher loads.

Hope that helps
Nekronaut and Bubba James like this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, at this point, things are still running strong. Before, it had got to the point where I would have the power cut off from accelerating hard, hitting the brakes, using turn signals, radio, etc. After the grounding point reckoning, everything operates as it should. I've thought about a grounding kit or just doing it myself, but I honestly just don't feel like re-running the wires around the engine bay.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba James View Post
Yeah, at this point, things are still running strong. Before, it had got to the point where I would have the power cut off from accelerating hard, hitting the brakes, using turn signals, radio, etc. After the grounding point reckoning, everything operates as it should. I've thought about a grounding kit or just doing it myself, but I honestly just don't feel like re-running the wires around the engine bay.
If it makes any difference they are usually really short runs, Its an hour project if you have a can of breakfree and an electric screw-driver. Depending on how much engine bay dress up you already have you can usually get matching insulated 4 Gauge Cables with nice terminating blocks on amazon for about $30 bucks.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1