loose belt maybe? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
loose belt maybe?

Hey i have this problem where i start up the car cold its fine for a min then it starts to like putt kinda but when i press on the gas everything is fine or when im driving its fine and also when its warm it does the same thing ill say its a rough idle what could cause this i looked on the forums but i couldnt find an answer i have a 2002 subaru wrx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

jbones1371 is an unknown
Garage
I had this same problem. Is you CEL on? Mine was and it was throwing code P0303 which is #3 cylinder misfire. All I did was add fuel injector cleaner and no more CEL.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
yea i have po302 03 and 04 and system to lean i put some fuel injector cleaner in today but it wasnt a good brand so i dont know if that will do that trick
post #4 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
When did you replace your plugs last?
I had a small hesitation when gassing it in neutral, after I changed my plugs, problem fixed.
I had misfire code a few weeks ago on 1 and 2 used injector cleaner and fixed it but when I push it too hard around 6k+ rpm I can feel it lagging out, not sure if its still missing or not but Im pretty sure that it might be the timing belt since Im over 100k so I try not to push it hard till I get it swapped out.

Good luck guys.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

jbones1371 is an unknown
Garage
I used gumout fuel injector cleaner. I can definitely tell a difference when im in gear at low rpm's. It used to stutter and shake but no more. Thank god it wasnt anything major.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Misfires in Subaru's are more often fuel related rather than spark. That being said, having rebuilt and work on a few (higher mileage) '02s lately which I notice we all have, another common and possible cause is valve lash being tight. As the seats wear, the clearance between the cam lobe and bucket shim gets smaller than spec. Eventually this causes misfires due to the valves opening an RCH too early.

After exhausting the possibilities of vacuum leaks, clogged or leaky injectors, tired plugs or dead coil packs, that is really the next thing to investigate. Subaru actually recommends a valve adjustment for our engines (I forget the suggested mileage). Unfortunately that is an operation that most shops can't even perform, and it's quite costly.

BTW, BG makes a good injector solvent.

Cullen
post #7 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
i just had both my heads fixed at the machine shop so im better sure there nothing wrong with those and i changed my spark plugs at 58,000 miles i have 61k miles now i got a new MAF, new belti put a new air filter, and i used fuel injector cleaner last night lucas i think the name was
post #8 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you check or regap the plugs when you put em in?

Clean the IACV as well.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #9 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
yes the gap was right i think it was suspose to be .30
post #10 of 17 Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ 0.030 inches, to be exact

John
07 WRX
post #11 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
my left head was making noise i had someone look at it they told me it could be that the vavle timing is off that is why i have misfires if this is true what would i have to do?
post #12 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
How many miles on that engine ? See my post above for detail on how the valves get out of adjustment. I'll give you advice based on the mileage

Cullen
post #13 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
61k low miles its a 2002 and i just had them seal and resufaced at 58k
post #14 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Did you have valve work done at that point ?

Cullen
post #15 of 17 Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GamerzBM is an unknown
yes i got new valves becuase when we had it done the first time they did the timing belt wrong and the valves got bent so we had to send the heads out and get the valves redone i hope im saying this right lol