Light Smoke - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well I use what Subaru says and anything below 141psi is out of the normal if you follow there procedure. 115 if it was cold and used forged pistons maybe, but not on a warmed standard EJ.
Per the Mechanic.
Subaru doesn't spec out the turbocharged motor, only standard they have is within 7psi of each other cylinder wise. NA motor is around 150 per the service manual. They were all within 4psi from top to bottom, so they are fine. I have 45000 more miles of warranty per the tech, fellow STi driver so I guess they got my back.
Will update if it blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
So the Subaru factory service manual that I am looking at that for a turbocharged 2009 WRX states a compression ratio of 8.4:1 is wrong when it says between 142-171psi on a compression test?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#18 Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
So the Subaru factory service manual that I am looking at that for a turbocharged 2009 WRX states a compression ratio of 8.4:1 is wrong when it says between 142-171psi on a compression test?
I was just quoting the mechanic verbatim. Send me a link or pdf or image of the manual, or a page number and issue and I will take the issue to the dealership, I do not have a service manual so have little argument. I could buy the full on manual, but if you have something I can take to them I will do it.
#19 Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Untitled Document Just follow the instructions.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#20 Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I'm betting the tech did it with a cold motor, I've seen people do compression tests cold all the time and then I just lol

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#21 Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I'm betting the tech did it with a cold motor, I've seen people do compression tests cold all the time and then I just lol
That is what I am wondering, I mean 30 psi is ALOT. I saw (from my handy dandy progressive obd II connector), that it ran for 10 minutes so I guessed he let it warm up a bit. But I would think if it is 30psi off it would be smoking alot more than just a mist of smoke. I did download and print a few pages of a manual I found online, planning on talking to him today and see what his explanation is.
Thanks
#22 Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
After reading and reading, it seems that if it was off by 20% given everything was done perfectly and the gauges were reading correctly it would be smoking bad and rough start etc, it has none of these symptoms. It still runs strong and all cylinders were within the oem specs of 7psi, I am just going to drive it, if I have problems they gauranteed me they would fix it under warranty until I hit the 60000 or 5 year mark, it has 19k on it so I am probably ok, it's just a bit annoying to see the mist, mostly when it's colder outside, and e85 doesn't typically smoke that I am aware of so it must be passing a bit of oil.
I do appreciate all the input though, if she blows I will post it up.
-Carl