Light Smoke - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Light Smoke

Hello all,
Don't really have anyone local to chat with with a similar tuned car. So I am hoping to find someone with a stage 4ish car, pushing around 400whp. 22lbs of boost till 7500. Car runs great, pulls hard, but it blows a small amount of blue smoke when it gets around 20lbs of boost. I have a vent to atmosphere breather for the crankcase and the valves. I really only started noticing this lately, the cooler temps help the visibility a bit. Its not bad enough to just think I am blowing my engine out my exhaust but still a little concering. I ran a comp test last year and it was fine, and also is somewhat a pita. Wondering if the consensus is a little bit of blue smoke is somewhat normal or if my engine is starting to show signs of wear, which would be depressing as it only has 19k miles on it. Run 0/30 amsoil.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-30-2011, 08:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
These engine are known for burning a little bit of oil, I wouldn't worry to much unless you notice a decrease in power. As far as running 0/30 that would bother me a bit unless your builder said to run it and the clearances in the motor are set for that particular oil.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 22 Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I hope that's not your setup on the stock engine? There is no way you can expect that motor to rev to 7,500 without problems. I also would have kept the oiling system closed loop.
post #4 of 22 Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
I hope that's not your setup on the stock engine? There is no way you can expect that motor to rev to 7,500 without problems. I also would have kept the oiling system closed loop.
It is a stock motor minus some intake and valve work. The fuel cut is tuned to 7350 so that under drag race situation it shifts back into zero lag. I have hit the redline once during a knock tune, so that is not the issue. I put the vent to atmosphere on because it was creating enough blow by to form small puddles in the intake and it would smoke a bit when you started it, which was very annoying to me, thus the reason for the first compression test. Perhaps I need to just take it in and have the compression test done again, because I hate it haha. Thanks for the input. Was hoping someone would have a similar setup and would just be able to speak from experience, it's not enough smoke to be really concerning more of a mist you can see in the right light, but just enough to see the color. It doesn't smoke during idle or cruise and I see zero smoke coming from the oil fill under idle, and blow by during idle is about the same as any Subaru I have ever been around. I just hate that small mist behind me when I get on it, which is rarely this car has been babied.
Thanks for the input though.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its probably the stock piston rings letting some oil skip by on WOT. I hope you have a engine fund in the works.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #6 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Its probably the stock piston rings letting some oil skip by on WOT. I hope you have a engine fund in the works.
Well, I will know soon enough I guess. It's at the dealership today getting a compression and leak down test. I really don't drive the car hard so it makes little sense that when I do it puffs a bit of smoke, I'd say it sees 4k+ rpms once every other week. Hardest living this car has seen has been the few wot tune runs I have done.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Generally burning oil at boost means turbo or bottom end....

Burning oil at vaccum is generally a head issue.

Do you have a restrictor on the oil feed to the turbo? If not, you're pushing too much oil through the ball bearing center and you may just have a turbo seal going on ya. To figure that out you'll need to pull the DP and see if there's any oil on the turbine.

-Chris
post #8 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Generally burning oil at boost means turbo or bottom end....

Burning oil at vaccum is generally a head issue.

Do you have a restrictor on the oil feed to the turbo? If not, you're pushing too much oil through the ball bearing center and you may just have a turbo seal going on ya. To figure that out you'll need to pull the DP and see if there's any oil on the turbine.
It's a Blouche XT-R with less than 1000 miles on it, it has the restrictor line that came with it (wire braided line), ball bearing turbo. Definitely no oil at vacuum. I just had the turbo off about 500 miles ago, because the oil feed gasket blew up on me, due to incorrect torque specs from Blouche, turbo looked great no signs of oil spewing anywhere. Can't imagine a bottom end going on me but maybe, I tend to lean towards stock rings not supporting it or broken ringland (which I hate to think of), or "maybe" the crankcase not breathing very well through the vent to atmosphere lines I have setup. Can't hardly be "worn" at 19k miles, but we'll see.
Thanks again!
post #9 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Subscribed. Interested to see how the leak down test turns out. That sounds like a lot of boost and revs for a stock bottom end.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #10 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I'll post when I know, if it's fine I am going to drive it till she blows, if it's on the verge I will just start using my car funds to save for some forged parts and someone to put it in.
**As a side note, this car has been a little funny since stage 2 as far as blowing oil, used to be it would end up in my intercooler from massive blow by, now with vent to atmosphere it seems to show up in the exhaust under load. This car has not seen that amount of boost or revs but very seldom, if I was romping on it all the time, then yeah I would have no doubt I was just expecting too much, but I haven't. That is the reason I was curious to see if anyone else had light smoke at full boost.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
When did you switch to the 0/30 oil?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #12 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I have run 0/30 since the 2nd oil change, which I have always been a bit wary of. I switched to a 5/50 for a very short stint just for my own information and it still did it to an extent.
**I just got a call from Subaru, all cylinders are 115 (+/- 4psi), "everything looks great", leak down was 0%.** So I am good for now, not sure why it spits a bit of smoke, guess I gotta live with it. It might be the amsoil who knows, I do not know anyone else running a big turbo on e85 so I have nothing to compare it to.**
Thanks for the input.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ummm those are really low numbers. Should be around 150 or +/- 5psi

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #14 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah, depends on who you talk to. I have seen 100-170 as "being normal" per different "forums". He is going to show me the Subaru specs and how he did it. He said it was fine, so I am assuming he has a good idea from doing these types of things all day long, we'll see. Biggest thing is all the cylinders match, so whatever he did he did it 4 times, typically in a motor with 19k miles it will not have all 4 cylinders off by 20%, it would tend to be a broken ringland, if in fact something was wrong. I'll chat with them when I pick it up.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well I use what Subaru says and anything below 141psi is out of the normal if you follow there procedure. 115 if it was cold and used forged pistons maybe, but not on a warmed standard EJ.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...