Subaru WRX Forum banner

led problems in the fogs

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  jhoff 
#1 ·
Ok so. I put cree leds in the headlights. They work awesome. And no glare that ticks other drivers off. Problem is. I tried to do the same with the fogs. Circuit is complete, but they don't come on. In fact, when I push the fog button. It turns on the high beam indicator and actually turns the high beams on..... wattage issue maybe? Any input is appreciated

#2 ·
2 things,

1 Its awesome to have some early adopters in the mix, ive been meaning to buy a few of those high wattage CREE LEDs just to play with : )
2. you may very well need a relay to fire the LEDs, unfortunatly they can be rather specific about input voltage.

I would start with a relay and if that doesnt work you might try the lamps on a bench tester first,

#4 ·
Most of the standard plug and play units are Chinese made and unfortunately many of the LED products that come out of discount manufacturers in china are mislabeled and or reverse polarity, i would try using an extension or H3 pigtail and reversing the polarity, in most cases where both units dont fire it is caused by the positive or negative terminals being swapped. If that doesnt make them work i would try them in another part of the harness like the high beams just to make sure you dont have a bad fuse or relay on your fogs.

#5 ·
You shouldn't be using LEDs in your headlights or foglights. They won't glare as bad as HIDs since they aren't as bright, but you're still going to get hot and cold spots since the optics no longer project light properly due to mixing and matching optics and bulb type.

You most certainly shouldn't be using them in foglights. Even if they are brighter, they will only hurt your night time vision. It's a mind trick that brighter foreground lighting means you can see better. In reality it just hurts the vision that matters: your distance vision.

#6 ·
Brfatal. I agree with you. However, the halogens were terrible. And these new cree's deff. Give a little more umph for the money. And I'm not spending a grand on properly retro fitted projectors just to have hids. So for what I paid I'm happy.

#8 ·
Like I mentioned though, it's only reducing night vision in your foglights. You're not even supposed to have fogs on in clear weather because they reduce your distance vision because the brighter foreground causes your pupils to constrict, so you can't see as well in areas that aren't as well light (basically anything beyond the few feet that the fogs cast light.

#9 ·
@brfatal, I think hes looking for he showy look of white fog lamps that match his headlamps, not good at all for visibility but very cool looking in a parking lot or show space.
@jhoff, please be careful as you will be damaging your visibility using very white of very bright fog lamps, they limit your long range visibility by flooding your eyes with a higher frequency light and causing your pupils to constrict letting in less overall light. have you had a chance to try the reverse polarity for those lamps? Im interested in the solution to the issue of both sides not turning on.

#10 ·
Ok so... They're not like the cree's. No ballast or anything. Literally just bulbs that are led. The even have the single pig tail hanging off like the halogen h3. And grounded by the body of the bulbs. Reversed connection and nothin. Still only turns on the high beam indicator and the high beams on the crees. This is really frustrating. Lol. And the fuse is still good too. It has to be a wattage issue I think. Almost like they're not high enough watts so the system doesn't even think bulbs are in. Or thinks it has bad bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.