Leaking BOV??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
Leaking BOV???

Hey, i just replaced the vacuum lines and restrictor pill (drilled to spec.) along with putting in STi "pinks" and a walbro fuel pump. I am having trouble building more than 5-6psi... The car seems to idle fine and drive fine with out boost. As soon as i spool the turbo and build 5psi it seems to just stop building boost. Could my TurboXS-RFL BOV be leaking the rest of my boost out? or do i have another problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Are you tuned for those?
post #3 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
not exactly.... I'm running the fp16g ACN map from cobb. Its about as close as i can get right now, i can't afford a protune at this point. The car isn't knocking or anything and it seems to idle like a champ, it just doesn't want to hold more than 5psi. When i rev it up to about 3.5k i feel constant air coming out of the BOV, i'm thinking i may just need to tighten it some how?? Add two washers maybe??
post #4 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
You have just ruined your car... Go back to stock and take everything off.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
How have i ruined my car? I can't go back to stock, my old turbo is fried, i don't have the stock turbo inlet pipe or intake plus i don't have the stock injectors.. Wouldn't it be best to just get it tuned properly?
post #6 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I don't think that is true. Tuner Ready...that's kinda hasty. But, in regards to the Cobb fp16 acn map. Follow what they want for the map or your not likely to get good results. I highly doubt a BOV is in their specs. You probably have a leak of some sort... I can't say where or which end of the turbo. But, I'd do a leak test. Plus, are you reving up to 3.5k and letting off...then feeling the leak? If so, that's what it is suppost to do. BOV do not benefit a subaru in any regard though. The air induction system in our cars is what's referred to a closed loop induction system. Basically, any excess gets returned to the intake by a by-pass valve (BPV). It's not mean to run as open loop and let the excess vent to atmosphere. In short...get rid of the BOV.

Edit: If your holding the RPMs at 3.5 and still feeling a leak out of the BOV. Then, that is a leak that needs to be corrected. Probably a bad gasket at the connection point or a POS BOV. Sorry...but, BOVs are a subject of flaming in most cases.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
The car already had the BOV on it when i bought it... Last night it was blowing air at 3.5k WITHOUT letting off. Can i just tighten/adjust the BOV? If not will my stock one go back right in its place? Since i didn't install the BOV i'm not sure how the stock piece goes back on... Next time i will by a STOCK subaru.....(not that there will be a next time)
post #8 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Not sure, if it's a matter of tightening the bolts or if the gasket is cracked/broken. I can't tell where the leak is coming from either over the internet. If it's a bad gasket...replace it. If it's not...replace it with a BPV. The BPV and BOV will both bolt to the same area on the IC. Its that or replace both and forget the BOV. It's your call on what you want for your car. Plus, this isn't a end all fix. Are you sure it's entirely the BOV leaking...they're a lot of pipes around the IC that also could be leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRyan View Post
Hey, i just replaced the vacuum lines and restrictor pill (drilled to spec.) along with putting in STi "pinks" and a walbro fuel pump. I am having trouble building more than 5-6psi... The car seems to idle fine and drive fine with out boost. As soon as i spool the turbo and build 5psi it seems to just stop building boost. Could my TurboXS-RFL BOV be leaking the rest of my boost out? or do i have another problem??
Are you sure the pill is on the right side of the T? http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_pro...stSystem_1.jpg Source: CobbTuning.com - How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works
post #9 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_Fan_0717 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRyan View Post
The car already had the BOV on it when i bought it... Last night it was blowing air at 3.5k WITHOUT letting off. Can i just tighten/adjust the BOV? If not will my stock one go back right in its place? Since i didn't install the BOV i'm not sure how the stock piece goes back on... Next time i will by a STOCK subaru.....(not that there will be a next time)
You definitely need some washers in there. It should not be leaking what so ever.

Start with 3-4 washers. Add until you get a little waffle (not quite surge but noticeable in tone of release) then back out one washer and call it a day. It must be leaking really bad for you to only build 5psi.

Also, you do have a spring in the BOV right? The top should unscrew from the body allowing you to add springs/washers when necessary.

Good Luck

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
I'm sure i have the pill in the right spot, i just replaced the vacuum lines on saturday and i know i put the drilled out pill on the turbo side of the vacuum line. The BOV does still have the spring, i noticed the spring feels MUCH tighter when the car is off, when its running it is very easy to open the valve. I'm hoping that throwing a few washers in there will help... Does anybody know what size washer works best??
post #11 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

They look to be of odd size and girth not sure if you could find them in a hardware store. I will try to get a pic later of it next to a measuring tape to help you out.

Definitely need a few washers in there and that's probably where the majority of your issues are something from.

Meth'd, EWG'd, Str8 Cut PPG'd, 20G'd Bug-i, 354awhp and 315tq SAE 5 Corrected 50/50 meth @ 19-20psi.
post #12 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
I sure hope this is the last of my problems for a while, lately its been one thing after another... I would really appreciate a pic to give me an idea of what i'm looking for. Thanks much!
post #13 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okay, i didn't even need to take a picture. They are 1" wide, with a 1/2" hole in the middle, round, and about two quarters thick.

I would say get 4 just in case and start with three.

post #14 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

robelia1 is an unknown
Yea i used to have this BOV too and took it off because it caused too many problems. The washers should help, do you have any idling issues? The washers contributed to the idling problems the car gave me. Installing a stock one is not a big hassle, check ebay or something for a stock bypass valve.
post #15 of 29 Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TurboRyan is an unknown
My car seems to idle just fine right now, the tune and fuel pump helped that... I would like to keep the BOV and get it working correctly if possible. I have the stock bypass valve stashed away some where at my parents house, i think it would be a bigger pain to find and install the bypass rather than just correct the BOV. I will try the washer trick, if that doesn't help i guess it will be time for a scavenger hunt....