Knocking/Popping on front drivers side. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sikotic Suby is an unknown
Knocking/Popping on front drivers side.

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for awhile before buying my first WRX. I bought a 2002 wrx that has a cat-less up pipe, down pipe and full exhaust. CAI and lightweight pulleys. I have been driving it for 2 days and this morning (Sunday) while driving to work a knocking sound started in front of my feet (pedals) and has been doing it since. My first thought was CV axle or bearing but it only makes the noise while coasting. Under acceleration, deceleration, braking and turning it makes no noise. Only while coasting with the wheel straight. It does sound rotational. The faster I go the faster the popping sound gets. And vice versa with going slow. I am at a loss with what it could be and I searched all over the site looking for an answer that someone may have already posted elsewhere. No such luck. I appreciate any input that you guys can throw my way. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hop under the car and inspect the CV boot. If it's torn, or has oil leaking out the ends of the boot chances are it needs to be replaced. I'm not sure how long they last on Subaru's, but I've replaced some at 100k on Hondas and Toyotas.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#3 Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Apparently, it is fairly common for the CV boots to fail after so many miles... my dad has a friend at work who owns several Subarus with several hundred thousand miles between them and he said that's really one of the only parts he's had to replace on these cars besides normal wear items. It sounds like the CV boots can almost be considered a wear item on these cars - probably similar to brake components in terms of longevity.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)