Subaru WRX Forum banner

Just another Forum Boost Problem

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 · (Edited)
Car is stock other then magna flow muffler...I know...Just a muffler..weird.. Picked the car up a couple of weeks ago and got rid of Mazdaspeed6. Sorry for the crap video wanted to be safe and hold a cell phone at the same time. Just listen to the first few seconds on the 2nd gear pull.

So after researching up and down i cannot find this problem or sound anywhere else. More the sound, I'm sure the problem is the same all over. Did my best to get a quick click and posted it on youtube for somebody that hopefully has a good ear. I had a 30 year Subaru tech at the local shop test drive the car and said everything was fine. Couldn't believe it.... Not sure if the clip will do it...but you can see the boost climbs and listen for right when the boost starts hitting about .06-.08 mpa, the boost gauge reading starts moving around a little when the sound is happening and the boost max hits .08 mpa. Car is new to me, have had 2 other turbo cars and know something doesn't sound right. I installed the restrictor pill and new vacuum lines from the Subaru dealer when it was only hitting .05. The last owner hacked it up...When the car is boosting i really dont feel much of a pull but the gauge is reading .06-.08

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

VIDEO:

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd say check all your connections, including the ones going to your boost gauge. .08 is roughly12psi which is stock for a WRX. It could be a leaky gasket on your BPV, plus it's really hard to tell what kind of mods are on the car to help narrow it down...

#5 ·
It sounds like a boost leak, but from a video it is next to impossible for us to tell you exactly where its at. A boost leak test will be the most painless way to figure out where the leak is at, it shouldn't cost more than 30 or 40 bucks (or if you have a air compressor, you can make your own tester for about 10 or 15 bucks), believe me, I went through a lot of hassles fixing leaks when I bought my car. Or you can do it the hard way and inspect every bit of hose, coupler, and gasket that has to do with your intake/boost control system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.