JDM 93 wrx jerky boost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speed Stick is an unknown
JDM 93 wrx jerky boost

Hi, I just picked up myself a 1993 WRX (GC8) imported from Japan. Runs really good (except high rpm boost obviously). Just needs new belts and has a jerky boost issue. I searched but couldn't find anything besides possible fuel not being high enough octane(got 92 in it) and possible boost leak is what I was thinking.

When the car is under full boost and at about 5k rpm and up the car becomes all jerky. Jerky is the best word I can think of. Like the boost comes and goes real fast above that RPM. Doesn't matter what gear the car is in. The clutch is good I am pretty sure. Doesn't slip and doesn't smell. The turbo pulls really strong still up to that time.

Sorry, never owned a Subaru. Have a 2000 Honda Prelude and just sold my 1991 GT-FOUR RC. Help would be greatly appreciated, thx in advance.

JDM 1993 Subaru WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-24-2008, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Problem diagnosis would be a better part of the forum for this post. Not sure about canadian customs. But, in america. The exhaust would've had to be more than likely re-done to american emissions. Thus, something else could've been tampered with or it would probably bottle neck the current set-up on the ECU. Your going to have very limited help on these boards. Because most of us are not familar with JDM Wrxs. Not sure if NASIOC is any better on older models or not. But, give it a try. They have a pre 2002 turbo factory section. Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain - NASIOC Just know they're not the easiest bunch of people to get along with other there.
#3 Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
Fuel cut from over boosting? I do not know enough about them bro, keep it at the top.

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
#4 Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

I managed to get answers from Western Subaru Club canada. I guess a couple other guys with the JDM wrx's had the same problem and it is the ignition coils/coil packs. And here in Alberta we don't have emissions so I'm lucky.

I'm actually pretty sure its not an overboost since the gauge doesn't go down.

JDM 1993 Subaru WRX
#5 Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
So it's a miss fire issue?

Might be helpful to have a full list of modifications.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#6 Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah. Only modifications that I have found are apexi boost guage, and HKS intake. Nothing else. But the coil packs are no good anyways.

JDM 1993 Subaru WRX