Issues after repair - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Issues after repair

So a little over a month ago I was side swiped from back bumper to front bumper. She hit me going about 40-45. Needless to say it destroyed my whole right side of my car. After taking it to the repair shop I got it back and noticed two problems right away. 1 my steeringwheel gets very small vibrations and kinda bounces on its own. I really don't think it did this before the wreck. 2. Whenever I hit my brakes my car swerves pretty hard to the right. They told me this was do to my brakes being bad, and insurance won't cover them because it was bad before the wreck. This seems very odd to me because my brakes wouldn't have just gotten that bad at the same time. Its been to 4 shops to get alignment checked. My car pulls straight when i stomp on it. Could new brakes fix both issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
When it swerves to the right, do you get vibrations ?

And is it always to the right ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
No vibrations just feels like my right brake is grabbing way sooner than the left and yes always to the right. I don't have a problem buying new brakes on my own if i knew it would fix the issue
#4 Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Could be the toe/camber/thrust/etc on that side.

Just reread your post... Bounces ? The steering wheel ? Are the same tires still on it ? I just can't see the brakes having anything to do with all this if there was no damage to the wheel/tire.

Have you been underneath that corner and looked around any? Look at the tie-rod/control arm area

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Yeah im not real knowledgable about cars but essentially the steering wheel just shakes. They checked the steering rack said it was fine. She hit the front right wheel hard enough to break off a piece of my rim. They say everything is straight though. The wheel movement is real minimal and doesnt always happen. I may just have no noticed it before. The braking is my main concern.
#6 Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Broke off a piece of the rim... wow.

You could always take off a rotor and bring it to a Mechanic/place that does turning and they will let you know if it's the rotor.

Was the rim replaced (I assume so). Could be a bad rim. Could be a bad hub. Have any pics of the sideswipe?

I would rule all this out. Then you can take it back to where it was "repaired"

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
So, the repair shop didn't put any new tires on the car or brakes? Just fixed the one rim and the rest of the frame/body work.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

sccaia is an unknown
Well the rims I had are no longer in production so I got four new rims and paid for 4 new tires out of pocket since they need to wear evenly.
#9 Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Glad to hear it...even though your pocket hated it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae