Intermittent Fuel supply on 04 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-30-2004, 03:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

DavidH is an unknown
Intermittent Fuel supply on 04 WRX

Two month old 04 WRX, 3,800klm, Apexi Pod Filter, 2.5 inch high flow muffler, Chip Torque piggy back chip - all fitted together and carefully dynotuned at 2800klm Runs brilliantly. Smooth, fast and consistant. Except................

The fuel system shuts down at any time. Start up, idling, cruising. It happened a couple of times prior to mods, but I thought is was the Subaru security alarm as it worked when the alarm was recoded, so I did not take it in to Subaru.

Then one cold and wet night (what else?) - Turned it off, came back 10 minutes later - fuel pump not running. It was towed to a Subaru dealer. They replaced the fuel pump and also the fuel pump controller which they apparently damaged in the process. This took a week.

Three days back on the road and same problem again. No sequence to it. Turn it off, start - OK. Turn it off, start - no fuel. Steady cruise on flat road - fuel cuts off. Pull over, try to start - OK again - drove home. Next morning - nothing - towed to the dealer agin.

Subaru say their diagnostics say the fuel pump controller is causing the problem. But they dont know what to do about it. Sound like a wiring problem to me as it is too unpredictable. Now they also say the chip might be causing it, but I can't see that as the problem started prior.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions greatfully received
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2004, 01:44 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Take out the chip and see what happens
#3 Old 06-01-2004, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Very possible it's your piggyback. Could also be a bad ECU. Read something similar on an RS with a swapped WRX engine and ECU. Fuel was loading up to the point of failure. Ended up being a bad ECU. My advice is take out the Piggyback and see if the fuel pump does the same thing upon start up. Obviously, if it's heavily modded dont run around on the streets without your tuned piggyback.

Blue