Installed TBE, code 0171 too lean, help? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ichiban is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Ichiban
Installed TBE, code 0171 too lean, help?

Hey guys,

I installed my TBE last night on my 04. Now it runs like a poorly tuned Harley. Tries to idle at 500RPM and keeps alternetly revving and dying. CEL is on, code 0171 too lean. The rear O2 sensor was put back into the new exhaust, had a bung ready for it. The downpipe and midpipe cats are gone. How do I richen this thing up? I'm going to try to trick it today with an oil fowler on the O2 sensor, failing that I'll try a 1M Ohm 1/2 watt resistor on the blue wire of the O2 sensor to trick it. I've ordered a CIA and I'm gonna try putting that on since it's notorious for causing a rich condition. And if all that fails I also ordered a freaking TurboXS UTEC system that will be here on Thursday.

Am I on the right track? Is there some magic little adjustment screw somewhere that I can just turn up the juice with? This is my first try at modding an OBDII vehicle. Any help would be really appreciated, I know running lean is gonna really screw up my engine if I don't fix it quick, fast, and in a hurry......

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Hm, well I dont know if trying to trick your car would be too good for your car. It's throwing codes because something isn't right. How did the install go? No leaks? Did you damage your O2 sensor? Putting TBE on without any sort of EM can throw CEL's. The idleing at 5,00 with alternate revs up and down/stalling sounds like a idle air control valve issue, that happened on my integra a while ago, it did the same thing...

12.7 @ 109
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Classic case of someone who didn't research first.

Here's what you need to do.
#1-- GET A TUNE. You'll probably be happier with a ROMraider tune. Cost is A LOT less.
#2-- Send the CAI back. Just do the snorkus delete/modification with a K&N panel filter. Make sure you wash the filter first, they tend to have too much oil on them right out of the box.
#3-- Get a catless uppipe. The cat in the stocker will begin to fall apart sending shrapnel into the turbo.

Here's why:
Because you deleted the cats, you have a much freer flowing exhaust. This allows the turbo to spool up faster. The fact that the boost is coming on earlier is confusing the engine. That is why it's throwing the CEL. Kinda surprised you don't have more than just P0171. A tune will fix the idle, and the CEL. It will also allow you to pass emmision testing if your area has them.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Ive never heard of P0171 coming on after a simple TBE installation. If any code pops, its the cat inefficiency code. Running too lean is dangerous, something else must have happened. I just dont see a TBE causing this code. And installing a CAI to counter the lean condition is just asinine.

Did anything odd go wrong with the installation?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good point, OP you might want to look and see if you have a vacuum leak. Something as simple as that can cause your ecu to flip out. That will help with your idle as well.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ichiban is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Ichiban
The kit came with an uppipe, but one of the bolt holes wouldn't line up so we had to reinstall the original uppipe. That was the only problem, the rest of the system went together fine and bolted right up the way it was supposed to. I figured it was no great loss since I'm going to upgrade the headers anyways and most of them come with an uppipe already attached. I'm not a fan of tricking the ECU with resisters and fowlers but I need a temp fix while I'm waiting for the UTEC to come in so I can load a proper map for what I have. As for getting a tune, I'd love nothing more, but there's nowhere to get one where I live, hell, the closest Subaru dealership is 200 miles away. If anyone knows someplace closer than Atlanta to get it looked at I'm in Dothan, AL 36303.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 01:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Do you know how to log? If so, then do a internet tune.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
Check all your connections after the maf sensor. If you did not damage the o2 (which I think gets a different code if it is bad), then it sounds like you did not tighten something after the install. If you think you did, look over it again, some areas are pretty hard to see like the turbo inlet to turbo connection that is also prone to cracking at the connection point to the turbocharger. Also, every connection post turbo: the y-pipe to intercooler, and the cooler to throttle body. If you have access to pressure tester use that instead.
Do not trick the ecu into anything, if this was not happening before the install, it is likely to be installer error.

drive = freedom
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
The kit came with an uppipe, but one of the bolt holes wouldn't line up so we had to reinstall the original uppipe. That was the only problem, the rest of the system went together fine and bolted right up the way it was supposed to. I figured it was no great loss since I'm going to upgrade the headers anyways and most of them come with an uppipe already attached. I'm not a fan of tricking the ECU with resisters and fowlers but I need a temp fix while I'm waiting for the UTEC to come in so I can load a proper map for what I have. As for getting a tune, I'd love nothing more, but there's nowhere to get one where I live, hell, the closest Subaru dealership is 200 miles away. If anyone knows someplace closer than Atlanta to get it looked at I'm in Dothan, AL 36303.
Ok, sorry to correct grammar but it's HEADER. Not headers. Also, I assume you have a laptop and internet connection. Go to tactrix.com and order a cable. Then go to EcuFlash - OpenECU and download EcuFlash. And finally go to RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider and get ROMraider software. What all of this will allow is for you to actually tune it yourself or get an internet tune. It's unbelievably easy and if you get the right tune, it's perfectly safe.