Subaru WRX Forum banner

idler pulley?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  the RIOT act 
#1 ·
so lately i have been getting a noise from under my hood for the first few minutes while the car is idling. after a while it goes away. it sounds like it is coming from one of the pulleys attached to the fan belt. its not a high pitched squeel oand the belt isnt slipping, but it sounds like i can hear the pulley spinning much louder. I had a friend of my dads look at it said it could be the idler pulley. has anyone had this problem? any thoughts? should i take it to get looked at or could it be the weather? :confused: I couldnt get a good vid of it maybe i can later, need to use diff camera.

#2 ·
Sounds like it being the idler if you can specifically hear it coming from the pulley, and not just the general vicinity. Pulleys have bearings though which will always fail eventually...nothing to worry about. But it could also be a bad belt, alternator, or steering pump as well. But if you hear it at the pulley def start there a it's the cheapest fix. Either a belt or pulley is WAY more likely your problem though. Idlers are cheap though and pretty easy to replace. I'd def recommend changing the belts along with the bad/other idler pulleys. I always do them all at once. It'll save brain damage later lol...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Yeah if you hear the noise right at the pulley def start there. Make sure you at least check your belts and replace if needed. But if there's more than 1 idler (which I dont think there is on yours) I'd replace that also since you're in there and have the belts off. Not sure how many idlers/tensioners you have though. Pretty sure it's 1/1 on the 03'

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.