Idle problem/ Boost cut in 3rd on 1997 STI - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
Idle problem/ Boost cut in 3rd on 1997 STI

Hey, I really need some help with a weird problem my 1997 STI limited has got, on idle every 10 seconds or so the engine misses a bit and you can feel the engine jolt slighty, almost like it is about to cut out, but it never cuts out, also in 3rd gear only at about 5000 rpm the boost cuts out and the engine jerks something terrible, it only does it in 3rd gear, the idle problem seems to be there all the time but the boost cutting in 3rd only happens every now and then, this might be weird but it always seems to be after it has rained. or been washed, but this might be nothing to do with it. i have only owned the car for a few months, but the dealer i bought it off said it had been tuned and had some mods on it, Any Ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Have you tried resetting the ECU? You might of gotten limp mode. Atleast I hope that's the only problem.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 15 Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I like that we have the ability to trouble shoot problems half way across the d**n globe. F***in-A.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 15 Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Mods? Sounds like you might have a cold air intake that may have gotten wet and there may be a little moisture on the MAF. The boost cut would indicate that you have a bad tune on the car. I'd recommend pulling the MAF out, hitting it with some MAF cleaner, resetting the ECU, and contacting a tuner. Until one can take a look, I'd drive it easy. Basically, no wide open throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I like that we have the ability to trouble shoot problems half way across the d**n globe. F***in-A.
I know what you mean. The interwebz is a powerful thing.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
thanks guys i'll take a look, baller v 24, do you mean if its not ecu it could be head gasket??
post #6 of 15 Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I was not implying that by any means. You should have white smoke out the tailpipe and a leak where the heads mount up if that is the case. I was just hoping it was nothing serious. It could also be the tune. If you dont have any tuners near by, you could always do a remote tune if you know how to datalog.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
Unhappy Still problems :( :( please pelease help

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
I was not implying that by any means. You should have white smoke out the tailpipe and a leak where the heads mount up if that is the case. I was just hoping it was nothing serious. It could also be the tune. If you dont have any tuners near by, you could always do a remote tune if you know how to datalog.
Hey Guys, I am still having problems and even worse. so what i have done so far in regards to the problem or irratic idle and hesistation going up the rev range (untill turbo cuts in anyway) so... so far i have.. Replaced coil pack, replaced leads, replaced Plugs, Replaced Fuel Pump, Cleaned the MAF, (while cleaning maf i found that some one had snapped a bolt on air filter, which is an apexi one, so i drilled and re tapped and re bolted) i thought this might be causing dirty are hitting the maf, But still i have the same problem which has seemed to got worse with the poor weather again, i am running out of ideas and am fearing the worse it has now started to idle very low intermittantly and miss fires intermittantly on deceleration, and someting else new which only happened yesterday. I was coasting on idle in a parking lot and went over a steep road hump, as the front of the car went over the bump the idle dropped from around 900 rpm to almost zero, it spluttered a bit then returned to around 900 rpm. i have bought myself a compression tester to rule out the worse, but if any one has any other ideas i would be very gratefull, it seems to be an electric problem of some sort, or might still be the maf
post #8 of 15 Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

do you know anyone around you that has a subie? If so you could maybe try swapping the MAF for a little bit just to see if that is the problem.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller_v24 View Post
do you know anyone around you that has a subie? If so you could maybe try swapping the MAF for a little bit just to see if that is the problem.
Sadly not buddy, all my mates for some stange reason, think rotary engines are the way to go and have rx-7's .... These 'Orange' Sticker mafs are like gold dust, must have been a common fault on the scoobies?? i have managed to track on down at a breakers, 30 odd quid.. but i am taking a chance as this one could be fudged too, .
post #10 of 15 Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterada View Post
Sadly not buddy, all my mates for some stange reason, think rotary engines are the way to go and have rx-7's .... These 'Orange' Sticker mafs are like gold dust, must have been a common fault on the scoobies?? i have managed to track on down at a breakers, 30 odd quid.. but i am taking a chance as this one could be fudged too, .
NEW MAF FIXEDED IT... SWEET.... Thanks for your long distance support.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Man that's great. Care to post pics of your car by any chance? Those old school sti's are awesome.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

porterada is an unknown
here ya go, this was taken at the place i got it from, one little problem i have left is some rattling coming from the back of the car when i go over minor bumps in the road, again not all the time, the only time i have heard anything similar was when i had some anti roll bar bushes go?? any ideas??
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

That is just badass. I love those things.

Nice

post #14 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Hot car you have there.

As for the rattle, it's either the exhaust rattling against a heat shield (Just bend it out of the way) or the swaybar bushings/endlinks. Use some white lithium grease on the bushings and crank the hell out of the endlink bolts.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #15 of 15 Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
BRAUTIFUL car man, thanks for sharing.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"