Subaru WRX Forum banner

Idle problem/ Boost cut in 3rd on 1997 STI

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Hey, I really need some help with a weird problem my 1997 STI limited has got, on idle every 10 seconds or so the engine misses a bit and you can feel the engine jolt slighty, almost like it is about to cut out, but it never cuts out, also in 3rd gear only at about 5000 rpm the boost cuts out and the engine jerks something terrible, it only does it in 3rd gear, the idle problem seems to be there all the time but the boost cutting in 3rd only happens every now and then, this might be weird but it always seems to be after it has rained. or been washed, but this might be nothing to do with it. i have only owned the car for a few months, but the dealer i bought it off said it had been tuned and had some mods on it, Any Ideas???

#4 ·
Mods? Sounds like you might have a cold air intake that may have gotten wet and there may be a little moisture on the MAF. The boost cut would indicate that you have a bad tune on the car. I'd recommend pulling the MAF out, hitting it with some MAF cleaner, resetting the ECU, and contacting a tuner. Until one can take a look, I'd drive it easy. Basically, no wide open throttle.

I know what you mean. The interwebz is a powerful thing.

#6 ·
I was not implying that by any means. You should have white smoke out the tailpipe and a leak where the heads mount up if that is the case. I was just hoping it was nothing serious. It could also be the tune. If you dont have any tuners near by, you could always do a remote tune if you know how to datalog.

#7 ·
Still problems :( :( please pelease help

Hey Guys, I am still having problems and even worse. so what i have done so far in regards to the problem or irratic idle and hesistation going up the rev range (untill turbo cuts in anyway) so... so far i have.. Replaced coil pack, replaced leads, replaced Plugs, Replaced Fuel Pump, Cleaned the MAF, (while cleaning maf i found that some one had snapped a bolt on air filter, which is an apexi one, so i drilled and re tapped and re bolted) i thought this might be causing dirty are hitting the maf, But still i have the same problem which has seemed to got worse with the poor weather again, i am running out of ideas and am fearing the worse :( it has now started to idle very low intermittantly and miss fires intermittantly on deceleration, and someting else new which only happened yesterday. I was coasting on idle in a parking lot and went over a steep road hump, as the front of the car went over the bump the idle dropped from around 900 rpm to almost zero, it spluttered a bit then returned to around 900 rpm. i have bought myself a compression tester to rule out the worse, but if any one has any other ideas i would be very gratefull, it seems to be an electric problem of some sort, or might still be the maf:beatentod:beatentod

#9 ·
Sadly not buddy, all my mates for some stange reason, think rotary engines are the way to go and have rx-7's :(.... These 'Orange' Sticker mafs are like gold dust, must have been a common fault on the scoobies?? i have managed to track on down at a breakers, 30 odd quid.. but i am taking a chance as this one could be fudged too, .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.