Idle/ power steering problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

slvrwrx12 is an unknown
Idle/ power steering problem

I am new to owning my wrx and pretty much live on this site reading as much as possible to learn everything I can. after researching through previous threads I find people with similar problems I am having right now but I still have 1 more thing that not many people have been mentioning. When I sit at idle sometimes i have a very rough shake for a few seconds then it goes away. I also have the tick but i know thats normal with these but sometimes it seems much louder then others. Now every so often i will be pulling into a parking spot or making tight turns at very low speeds like 3mph and the power steering will cut in and out. My car is 100% stock and i am just going through making sure everything works properly before i start adding mods and get myself into a bad spot. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you let it sit idle, it gets hot. When it gets hot, it spins up the cooling fans. This torques the thing and it takes a second or two to catch up. It's totally normal. Boxer motors don't idle ultra cleanly to begin with. They burble, shimmy, and tick.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD

Last edited by mosc; 09-24-2008 at 11:51 PM.
#3 Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Exactly what Mosc said. About your steering, have you checked the fluid level? Maybe its low or the pump is going out. Some things to check there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

slvrwrx12 is an unknown
thanks mosc for clearing that up just better safe then sorry right now. The fluid level is fine i checked that after the first time it happened. aside from the possibility of the pump going out could it be possible the battery is going bad and causing this? cause its most common when the wheel is turning and im not giving it any throttle. i dont know just an idea im running by u guys if so ill go get the battery checked.
#5 Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Umm...the battery wouldn't have anything to do with the steering pump. That's running off the engine one way or another....either belt ran or in my old car before subies. It ran off the cam. Not sure which one applys to the wrxs. As I haven't even really considered looking at how it was running off the engine....because my pump is working fine.
#6 Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sounds like a belt. How many miles on it?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

slvrwrx12 is an unknown
104,xxx miles