I just crashed and car won't start - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
I just crashed and car won't start

Hi guys, I just crashed MY06(USDM) WRX about 2hours ago and I'm okay with only few bruises but I can't sleep. Thank god the accident wasn't serious, I spun out, fell into a ditch and hit a medium road sign on the passenger's side, only 1 side airbag deployed. The car ended inside a huge puddle, and because I stupidly have a CAI, I'm thinking it could've sucked some water. The puddle was big enough to cover the CAI only. There are many body damages in sideskirts, door, front and back bumper, but mechanicaly the car is about 95% good. I've only searched the forums and google for a while but can't find any info to fix my problem.

My question comes here; the car was running for a few seconds after the crash but then it shut down, is there a security measure that's disabling the engine to start again? Or is it possible that water entered the engine? The car is 100% driveable, I towed it home with my brothers car. The battery seems okay, and we tried to jump start it, but it wouldn't turn on. There are many lights ON in the dashboard, and I can see one that's called security. Thats my prime suspect regarding why it won't turn on. Is there a way to disable this and turn on the engine? Or could it definitely be that water entered the engine from the CAI?

I'd appreciate some help. I'm sorry if there already is an answer to this and I couldn't find it or overlooked it, but right now I'm still nervous and sad for my car but glad of being in one piece. I've got a lot of mixed feelings regarding this night with my dear subie. Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
That sucks, good your o.k. Good luck with it.

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#3 Old 08-27-2011, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
Sucks big time, but I'm ok and so is my car. Gotta take it to a body shop, but first gotta start the engine. I disconnected the battery and waited a couple of hours to see if it'll turn on.
#4 Old 08-27-2011, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
If I'm not mistaken, anytime an airbag deploys, the car won't start as a safety precaution.

Mike
#5 Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
My thoughts exactly, but I'd liked to know if I can overide this somehow to start the car. I've got a tactrix cable, would it start if I reflash the ecu?
#6 Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm sure there is a sensor that either needs tricked into thinking the air bag is ok or get a another air bag. You could flash the ecu a 100 times and the sensor for the air bag being deployed will still keep it from starting.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
Yeah, just flashed back to stock and got nothing. I've read on other forums a way to trick the airbag with a type of resistor, so I'll try it out later. For now, I'm going to bed, haven't slept much since last night's incident. thanks for the info. Please post up any other idea you get, goodnights...
#8 Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
What caused the accident?

Kirt
#9 Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
I'ts kinda my fault, I was driving at about 70mph, and though that speed is still controllable, another car entered the road from a small exit just before me, so I knew I wouldn't brake on time and tried to avoid him but lost control. The other car didn't even stick around to see if I was ok and drove off.
#10 Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Typical...people don't help others anymore in real life.

Kirt
#11 Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Human Bean is an unknown
Garage
Small update; turns out water entered the engine through the CAI(cais suck big time). I feared the worst being hydrolocked, but I just took off spark plugs, drained water, put sparks back on and after a few tries, engine started. It sounds ok, but I don't wanna rev it up so much and will change oil asap.