I have a problem I need some insight - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

The New Kid is an unknown
I have a problem I need some insight

My wrx broke down on me saturday toke it 2 a shop and mechanic is telling that its my computer (ecu I guess he means) idk and he's is telling that because I put my exhaust system on and that it fried my computer how tru is that I don't understan how that works but idk can some one explain thanx a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
huh?

Exhaust systems don't fry ecus. Can you be any more specific about the symptoms you're experiencing? "My wrx broke down" isn't really the best description for us to go by. Is the car not starting? Does it start but run rough? Also, a complete list of the exact modifications on your car would also be helpful. Without that information, I think we'd all just be taking stabs in the dark trying to help you get your car back up and running.

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Also, if you have a CEL get the code read and post it on here for us to better help you.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #4 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok well it only has turbo back exhaust only mod
I was drivin and started getting like knocking or it also sounded like air was coming out of some where but it was still runnin so I figured I can get it home I pull 2 a light shift into neutral and it cutt off completly it rolled into a gas station it started then I tryied pullin out it was real rough and then it cut off again started one more time now it does not start
That's ### I was thinkin when does an exhaust mess up the ecu I a cel its o2 sensor because of the new exhaust any thing else let me know
Thanks so much
post #5 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Air coming out of where? I mean i know you were driving, but a general area would also help.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
if your only mods are turboback exhaust and you are hearing a lot of air then it sounds to me like you have got an exhaust leak somewhere...

I have had dozens of exhaust leaks before but none of them ever made my car run like garbage.

Did you use new gaskets when you put on the exhaust?

Maybe if the leak is where the downpipe connects to the turbo its causing enough turbulance to mess it up???

If you have a CEL get it checked for free at autozone or something. If you are too lazy for that you could just disconnect your battery to reset the ecu, then see if it fixes the prob or the CEL comes back on....
post #7 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Its came from the engine bay I don't think its a exhaust leak I put new gaskets n I don't think that would prevent my car from starting correct me if I am wrong ..it could have not been air but it was knocking it would go away and then come back.. The car does not start so idk how I would get it to autzone .. My had gone off timing about 2 months ago and the valves were bent It fixed by this mechanic and it has been a month since I got the car back I thinkin he did something wrong is tryin 2 cover him self some one told me that it could be the tie rod is coming loose or came loose
post #8 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

07VTRex is an unknown
again, another stab in the dark, BUT since you have a pre-06 WRX meaning that your uppipe has a cat in it. THe turboback may be responsible for the sound of air because when you free up the exhaust flow you can HEAR the turbo moving air, which could be what you are hearing.

Following that theory the extra suction caused by the freed up exhaust may have caused the cat in your uppipe to shoot into your turbo...
post #9 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
It is a possibility the cat on the uppipe took a dump but the way you described your car sounds to me like your car is really hurt.

Besides getting the code read, if you have one......is to get a compression check...especially since you just recently had some internal engine work.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #10 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Try listing all your mods....................................

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #11 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Did you pull the intercooler off when you did the exhaust install? If you did, you may not have the piping connected completely. That would cause a massive boost leak which sounds like air rushing AND will cause it to run like crap.

Also, get some form of engine management. That will take care of the CEL and get the most power out of the modifications.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #12 of 15 Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
i agree with crazytaxi when i put my new TMIC forgot to tighten one of of the connection and made it sound like i had a EWG on my first test run
post #13 of 15 Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ok one of the mechanics said I need a ecu reflash would getting the cobb assport do it for me? If not what is a good ecu I should get
post #14 of 15 Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You dont need an ECU, you need some type of Engine Management. Depends on your tuner and your own capbility. I love my AP, but some also swear by opesource tuning (tatrix cable and romraider), there is also the Utec, and stand alone units.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #15 of 15 Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
UTEC has kinda fallen behind compared to AP and OpenSource. I'd recommend OpenSource if you want to save money. It's the cheaper of the two since there is no hardware to buy. You just reflash your stock ECU with a laptop and a USB to OBDII cable.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug