Subaru WRX Forum banner

I have a bad knocking.

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  sslayer22 
#1 ·
:( so I have a 02 wrx sedan, it has a VF39 turbo, sti tmic, straightpipe 2" exhaust, intake and hks SSQV BO. I went out last night and i raced a few of my friends and it was fine, on the way home i had problems. I was going about 40mph in 4th and my turbo was not in boost but spooling which is unusual for that gear, then when i put it in 3rd i could hear a knocking. The car then died and i pulled off to the side. i let it sit then started it again. the engine shook and made some noise then there was a loud knock. I turnned the car off. I think it is either a spun bearing or a bent rod or something along those lines. I havent had it check yet. Hoping to see what you guys have to say, thanks alot

Tanner

#11 ·
i guess am facing the same issue.it was a knocking tuckling sound...and i was accelerating to hear the voice....ma car turned off and did not start for a while.later that day when i started it...the noise became loud and clear.so my question is how much or what parts was needed change

#12 ·
my car is making some noises also but it sounds nothing like that video. it sounds more like this @3:26...
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ezlP1AUzXKY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> or this <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2J0vgN_nJbs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
more of a random clunk rather than the previous video with sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke.
this noise came out of nowhere also and i noticed my turbo got kinda hot as well. i was thinking loose timing belt = retarded timing = too rich = lots of fuel getting to the turbo and making it hot?? pretty sure a rebuild is coming up.
Thoughts?

#14 ·
oil level is perfect, and after sitting at idle for about 20 minutes the temp gauge never went above normal. but when i drove it just a couple houses down the turbo itself started to smoke. it could have been coolant steam if it was starving for oil and got hot under a load .do you think a bad oil pump would still show good level on the stick? how do you test the oil pump anyway? i'm about to have the front torn down to replace the timing belt tensioner and check everything else up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.