Hunting down squeaks and rattles. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-09-2002, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Darkstar is an unknown
Hunting down squeaks and rattles.

Off and on now I have been trying to find the cause of the noises that my WRX has been making. I found one of them, a loose rear spoiler. But I have many more squeaks and rattles.

You may think Iím a little weird, but I went as far as taking a little ride in the trunk to find out where its coming from. I jumped right in the trunk and had someone else drive. It worked, found one of the squeaks. Some of the other noises I hear must be the front and rear sway bar bushings. But I wouldnít have found that out if I didnít take a ride in the trunk. Its just to hard to figure out where squeaks and rattles are coming from when your driving.

I still have a squeak in the dash, and a rattle or knocking in one of the doors.

Anyone else have this problem, and how did you fix it?

One rex to rule them all, One rex to find them, One rex to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Subaru where the RE92s lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Founder

Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Man, now that is what I call determined. I think I'll try a ride in the engine compartment next time there's a funny noise - j/k!

As for the door, like on many cars, you can always check to make sure the latch isn't metal to metal - this has happened on a few cars of mine. I just put a little electrical tape on the latch and it cured it. Of course, if it was something that easy, I'd guess that you would have found it already - you sound pretty thorough.

-Chris
WRXtuners.com Founder
post #3 of 20 Old 10-12-2002, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

iceNine is an unknown
You really do have to do some unusual thinks to track these things down. Probably why professional mecanics usually can't find the source of these things when you take your car in for service. They aren't willing to go the extra mile (in the trunk) to find them . On my other car (87 MR2) I was tracking down problems with smoking, stalling and a loud rattling from the rear where the engine is. I couldn't figure out what was happening until I raised the car about 4 inches and lay with my head underneath the engine and exhaust system with the engine running (clogged cat).

On my Rex I have a few creaks from my dash area, my seatbelt mechanism and some in the area of my front swaybar bushings that I need to track down and repair.

Dale
PSM WRX Sedan
HKS MBC, Forge BOV, Defi gauge pod, Cusco sway bars, Kartboy droplinks, STI v2 front lip, stainless brake lines, STI foglight covers, Duffgaurd Diff protector
post #4 of 20 Old 10-17-2002, 01:16 AM

Gerlando is an unknown
Re: Hunting down squeaks and rattles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkstar
You may think Iím a little weird, but I went as far as taking a little ride in the trunk to find out where its coming from. I jumped right in the trunk and had someone else drive.
That is hilarious! Too bad you didn't get any pictures of that I haven't really had any squeaks except those coming from my exhaust.

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #5 of 20 Old 10-28-2002, 02:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostedBoxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBoxer
i used to have a hatchback eclipse so squeaks dont bother me...but i have a like...leak...or something in my driver side window weatherstripping...at higherspeeds w/ the windows up i can hear air coming in.....

...maybe this is from racing up to 120 w/ the front windows down?....probably wasnt a good idea....but the guy pulled up next to me.....an AWD talon....and revved...and took off...so i didnt have time......

-kris

"pure adrenaline attached to a license plate...isn't it time to experience one yourself?" - Dan Gurney

|-Boost Is Bliss-|
post #6 of 20 Old 10-28-2002, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

homerbethy is an unknown
Has anyone's turbo rattled in the lower spool up points? I think it is the turbo but I can't be too sure. It only does it when I "step on the gas cause I like to" and goes away around 2300 RPM or so. Any ideas?

ZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
post #7 of 20 Old 11-06-2002, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

nepman4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by homerbethy
Has anyone's turbo rattled in the lower spool up points? I think it is the turbo but I can't be too sure. It only does it when I "step on the gas cause I like to" and goes away around 2300 RPM or so. Any ideas?
Just checking to see if you have fixed the problem yet if not, what mods do you have? Have you done any intake mods or exaust?
My car started to make a rattle sound in the lower RPM range after I did the MRT cold air intake. It also could be a lose exaust hanger.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-09-2002, 08:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

homerbethy is an unknown
No. Checked all the hangers and such. She has done this almost since I have gotten her. I don't think it is affecting performance but, it is pretty annoying. Could it be the cat in the up-pipe has some loose stuff in it?

ZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
post #9 of 20 Old 11-13-2002, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

noobracer is an unknown
My front window makes a god awful squeak every time i open and close it. It sucks does anyone else have this problem.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-13-2002, 03:51 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by homerbethy
No. Checked all the hangers and such. She has done this almost since I have gotten her. I don't think it is affecting performance but, it is pretty annoying. Could it be the cat in the up-pipe has some loose stuff in it?
Well I certainly hope it isn't stuff rattling around in your up-pipe or else your looking at a blown turbo before long. Is your car stock? If so take it to the dealer to have it checked.

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
post #11 of 20 Old 11-23-2002, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

mackal69 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to mackal69
dude just put in a nice sound system so u can crank that squeeqe and rattle out of your mind. lol. joking but really how bad could the sound possibly be for all that extra agrevation?
post #12 of 20 Old 12-12-2002, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

T-Bone is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
i used to have a hatchback eclipse so squeaks dont bother me...but i have a like...leak...or something in my driver side window weatherstripping...at higherspeeds w/ the windows up i can hear air coming in.....

-kris
I have this problem too. So does a friend of mine in his WRX. Rolling the window down and then back up eliminates our wind noises. My passengers must think I'm nuts rolling my window down and back up on the highway. I've also had the squeek in the window once, but not all the time. Window gaskets cold/wet? Also dash squeeks, but rarely.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-12-2002, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

DetroitWRX is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to DetroitWRX
Quote:
Originally posted by noobracer
My front window makes a god awful squeak every time i open and close it. It sucks does anyone else have this problem.
God I hate that, I have found that this is due to road salt. If you take your door apart(like to put in new speakers) and clean the window ride bruches this will go away until next winter. Or at least it did for me(but its winter again back to overly salted roads).!Cry!
post #14 of 20 Old 01-02-2003, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitWRX

God I hate that, I have found that this is due to road salt. If you take your door apart(like to put in new speakers) and clean the window ride bruches this will go away until next winter. Or at least it did for me(but its winter again back to overly salted roads).!Cry!

Mine also does it, but I've found that it's when the window rubber sills are dirty,so check that out. Other than that, I've heard none of the other noises you guys mention...
post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2003, 09:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

WizzD is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WizzD
Quote:
Originally posted by noobracer
I get it too. Not only that, every time I wash my car I get a streak on my window when rolling it up and down for like 3 days! How long does it take to dry? Too long if you ask me. Seems like there is always wetness in there.