How to stop check engine light during high boost? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

DinavaWRX is an unknown
How to stop check engine light during high boost?

I just put a new boost controller in my 05 wrx and everytime i hit higher than about 18-19 psi my check engine light comes on and the engine cuts out. How do i remove that limiting function of the ECU? Thanks let me know asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinavaWRX
I just put a new boost controller in my 05 wrx and everytime i hit higher than about 18-19 psi my check engine light comes on and the engine cuts out. How do i remove that limiting function of the ECU? Thanks let me know asap.
Why you'd even want to do this is beyond me, but here goes.

You can do this with aftermarket engine management. Another way to do this would be to install the FCD from HKS. TurboXS makes one too. This will allow you to control the onset of fuel cut. This is something that someone with a good amount of tuning experience would use, not someone that isn't very familiar with the ECU and what it does.

I'll give you the short and sweet on what happened and why it did.

You experienced fuel cut. Fuel cut is cessation of fuel delivery and spark generation by the ECU. It is a pre-programmed response designed to save the turbocharger from utter destruction in the event of a catastrophic wastegate malfunction.

I'll add this as well. Your car is not set up to run at those boost levels. You're not gaining any more power by running that much boost on the stock turbo, fuel system, etc.. You're more than likely losing power if anything. This would be due to pulled timing from knock/detonation. You should really have some type of engine management/logging tools to see what you're actually doing instead of just throwing a boost cotroller on there and twisting it up.

I would tell you to take the mbc off the car and let some aftermarket EM control boost for you.

Well, unless you want to blow your engine up.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)

Last edited by 9d2TSi; 03-12-2006 at 08:35 PM.
#3 Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
Wow, not another MBC/BOV/CIA thread

Well, you've come to the right place. Listen to what 9d2TSi just said. It will save us the trouble of replying to a future thread called, "Help, me engines just blowed up"
#4 Old 03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

GetUpInDer is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinavaWRX

Wow, if you knew enough to install the BC how did the part about the wastegate function slip by? No wonder SOA denies so many warrenty claims.
#5 Old 03-12-2006, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to wrxroy
frommy personal experience, I didn't know all this stuff about mbc's untill after I bought one and then joined this site. but before then I had it turned up only to 15.5-16 psi. I didn't have any problems with it, I actually quite liked it! eventually I got the cobb A.P. and I still use it even though I REALLY don't need it cause of the A.P. ever since I got the engine management, my car has been running sweet!