Horrible Sound on the Engine - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

darylrx7 is an unknown
Horrible Sound on the Engine

Hey guys I really dont understand where is this sound coming from nor what makes it, I would be more than happy if you guys tell me if this ever happened before also the way to fix it, my car is a 2004 subaru impreza wrx. you can see the video on youtube here is the link.

2004 wrx engine sound - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can't get on youtube here at work, but did you recently do anything to the car?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Sounds like its done man. I'm not the best on here but it sounds like a rod.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#4 Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

jhmason is more helpful than not
That be rod knock, sorry man

Mason
12 WRX Sedan OBP - RA mudflaps and stock!
12 Impreza Sedan Premium ISM - old lady's ride
#5 Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I've heard it on so many cars and it doesn't make me cringe any less hearing it now. jhmason is right. That's definitely a rod knock. I was hoping to give good news as I was listening to the video at idle, and then you revved it and that solidified it. Before you revved it I was going to ask what it was like above idle, but now I know. You have a good opportunity to build the lower end of the motor now though. I had to do it on my STi for a different reason, but I know how it feels. I'm sorry, but I also am happier with what I have now than I ever had before. See below for the link to my build and the disappointments I faced in doing it. I did all the motor pull labor myself, and sent the block to a machine shop for the internal work. All in, my built motor came to $4K. I know that sounds unimaginable, but it was truly worth it to get the bottom end I always wished it had from the factory.

You can likely re-use some of the parts, if they weren't toasted too. The sad fact is that most engine failures come from oil starvation. People new to turbos don't pay quite as much attention to the oil levels unaware of blow by gasses sucking a little of it through the intake as they drive. It's normal to use 1/2 - 1 quart of oil between oil changes, but check it in the meantime and fill it as necessary. If that was the cause in this case, then I would feel most comfortable with new parts for most of the rotating assembly. WagonRacer will have more insight to the build of a 2.0L, as he's done a ton of them. I also have experience with tearing it all down and putting it back together, and I can just tell you to take it a step at a time, and be ready to be without your car for a while.

Here's the link to my build stuff.

#6 Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Spun rod bearing or broken rod. Same noise two different things cause that noise.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Definitely rod knock.
#8 Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

darylrx7 is an unknown
Guys thanks a lot for your comments I will take it to a shop so we can start taking the engine down, btw do any of you know if I can switch the whole front from a 2004 wrx to a 2006?
#9 Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You can but, you need some specific parts to do it right. I think Joshua remembers the list. Wait for a answer or search for it.

Sent from my AT100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Its pretty in depth. Fenders, head lights, hood, bumper, bumper beam, grille, and some other misc. parts (then of course paint for everything) to put it all together. The process has been done across years a few times. I think a search on NASIOC or google search would probably neat you a better answer

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"