Hitting fuel cut on stock tune - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

tko16155 is an unknown
Hitting fuel cut on stock tune

Hey guys. Really new to the WRX scene. I have an '02 WRX with the stock intercooler, stock tdo4, 3" catless exhaust, stock up pipe, 255lb fuel pump, and I am unsure of the injector size... It had a tune on it and then it sat for quite a while. I have a tactrix 2.0, and I flashed a stock map on it. It starts, idles, and drives like butter. But when I go WOT I hit fuel cut. I am unsure if the wastegate had been adjusted or not. All of the vacuum like and plumbing are nice and tight. So if anyone has some insite it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Why did you go back to a stock tune? Im guessing that's your problem right there. Might I also suggest getting a catless uppipe.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

tko16155 is an unknown
The tune that I was running was getting really funky and jerky. The only pro tuner close to me is 2-3 hours away. So I just needed something to suffice until I can get there to get a pro-tune done.
#4 Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

tko16155 is an unknown
the catless up piped is in the very very near future too.. As in friday haha.
#5 Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
There's a guy around here that can send you a good tune. Im not going to mention his name though cause he might be too busy or just not want to mess with it or the liability. He knows his stuff though. Im sure he will chime in if he thinks he can help you out. I would for sure get a pro tune or etune on it from a respectable tuner. Good luck brotha .

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#6 Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Why make two threads on the same thing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

tko16155 is an unknown
Sorry for making two threads for this. I realized after I made the first one that there was an appropriate place for it. And any help I could get until I get in for a pro-tune would be great!
#8 Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The protune will fix it and we can't help. Taking the other tune off is what screwed you up.
arewmors likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
he said the tune he had on it was running bad. prob a mechanical problem esp since it was sitting. taking off the tune prob messed it up worse. I had a similar problem with it being jerky, my MAF sensor was dirty.
#10 Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
OP, you running a stock BPV?

Also like mentioned earlier, you can't just pull off a tune designed for your car

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#11 Old 12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
If the car sat for a long period of time, it could have been the gas...Newer fuels contain ethanol and it jells over time and can cause fuel cutting issues because the oct rating is lower ant the ECU sees a lean condition...Then again do I know...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Slight misdirection here, psinuse how long does the gelling if ethonal take? Could this cause an injector to become clogged and not function?
#13 Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Gents,

Ethanol-blended fuels - in Canada at least - have a shelf life of over 2 years. Also, it's properties are that it's a cleaner and absorbs water. It also has a 2% lower energy content than conventional fuels when blended at at 10% concentration - which is industry typical.

I have never heard of ethanol-blended fuels gelling. It's just not a risk. I'd seek some other explanation here.

Early experiences with ethanol-blended fuels at marinas were that it got super-saturated with water, and therefore was no longer fit for service.

As a cleaner it could plug up a filter though, if just starting to use ethanol-blended fuels after years of conventional fuel use.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 12-17-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: exception
#14 Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Great info Keith! A co-worker of mine has a classic thundebird. He let it sit 5months and had to drain the fuel. When he did it was brown. I originally thought maybe the old fuel tank had something to do with it but, he said he had it cleaned and coated with the restoration . Moral of the story is it don't take long as one would think.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#15 Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So I did some looking around. While I found quite a bit of good info on this, this thread seems to cover a bunch of the basics if "bad fuel".
It's kinda crazy what google and yahoo have to offer.
Almost like they're a search engine of sorts! Wow.
Not hatin on you Haw1s

How long can gasoline sit in a vehicle before it goes "bad"? - Yahoo Answers

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew