Hits wall only in 3rd...followed by h-u-g-e surge - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mpz530 is an unknown
Hits wall only in 3rd...followed by h-u-g-e surge

Been trying to find a similiar problem....new to the boards....and covered the basics, but everything seems to be ok only with this rare exception (happens everytime and only in 3rd gear). Any pointers and words of action would be greatly appreciated and defintely followed.

2004 WRX Wagon...bone stock, except for Cobb Access Port V2. 79K miles, had full 60K and 75K service done at 72K as I bought the car used at ~66K.

For about 2 months I was running a Cobb Access Port Stage 1 91 Octane Tune and it was running S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R. I soon reflashed to 93 Octane as it is readily available and it ran even smoother....hitting 14.9psi with ease. However, one day the car out of nowhere during driving just refused to boost over 7psi... 2 new tanks of gas....same issue. No Cells/Errors....no sounds. Figured defintely NOT bad gas.

Right away I checked the obvious...loose hoses, clamps, air filter, MAF and did a FULL reset to stock ECU after that didn't work as I planned to bring it in. BTW coming from a 350z here so I'm still grasping the turbo setup things here.....(trying my best.) Well after a reset, gears 1 and 2 ripped...and 3 started to rip.....

Somewhere between 3800 and 4700K its like hitting a wall....near stoppage. But here's the catch.....BOOST climbs to around ~.8-.9 BAR...and at 5K (After being at full boost for a good 3 seconds) its as if "something" unloads all the boost at once and the car explodes like a rocket. It defintely accelerates waaaay harder than when Cobb'd and boost doesn't seem to spike over ~.8-.9 BAR. (No digitial PSI read like I could do earlier)

The only way this does NOT happen is if I start at about 20mph and slowly ease into the gas till rediline. If I drop into 3rd and any RPM above 45 and give er gas......"the Wall" for about 3-4 seconds with poost at peak followed by the rush. Oddly enough....this doesn't happen in 4th for that matter or 5th. During the "wall effect" I might add boost is climbing to peak with ease....

Before I reflash to Cobb....this isn't something that used to happen and I don't want to crap my engine. Hitting the wall is fun though - as the power exlosion that follows is much stronger than a pull in any mode.

What I know is that above 5K in all gears boost/power isn't an issue....seems to hold solid with no fluctuating. Almost like the timing of boost and fuel aren't coordinating between 3k-5k....

I'm thinking a) solenoid of some sort b) something crapping out/clogged in the fuel delivery c) Turbo isn't spooling quick enough?

Tips? Ideas? Am I just a complete Idiot? Should I see if I can data log in stock mode with the Cobb somehow and post it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Kinda hard to picture what's going on here...

Does the RPMs go up even though you aren't accelerating?

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Could be your BCS is sticking, or clogged fuel somewhere. But would seem to be an issue in all gears under load.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Almost kinda sounds like you have a big turbo or something. The wall your describing could be lag and the sudden boost could be excess boost from the bigger turbo.

I highly doubt it but it's a possibility. Have you checked to make sure you dont have an aftermarket turbo? You might also want to datalog it and see what you can find what's going on.

Was it just the stage one flash on there? Do you have anything else at all?

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
I'd guess a maf sensor may be having problems. You might want to clean the maf. Do you have an aftermarket intake? K&N Filter? You may have filter oil on it. Each gear has it's own set of programing on the ecu, it could be a problem with the 3rd gear setup too. I'd flash back to a 91 map if you haven't already.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mpz530 is an unknown
Huge thanks for the replies....this board is going to be awesome. Can't wait to keep learning more. Once you start with these cars you can't stop.

1) Actually yea I have a K&N filter(actual filter insert only)........appears to be in better than decent shape. I've heard about this filter oil stuff........is this a common problem getting sucked into the MAF like I've heard before?
2) RPMS go up.....just very slowly. The revs climb as if the car had zero or no boost but clearly the gauge is showing peak boost at this point. Hits about that 5k mark and the car goes from climbing reves and zero acceleration to rocket.

When I bought the car used, it did need clutch and flywheel replacement. Along with the baseball for the shift knob (literally) gave me an indication that someone had toyed with the car, and had some fun along the way.

However, I did some very basic homework and had an idea of what to look for like aftermarket downpipe , air intake, exhaust etc. Obviously some the turbo elements are/were out of my league. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the guy before me had stuff on there and took it off as I later found mounts/spacers were missing causing the tranny to bounce off the exhaust out of nowhere one day.

If there was a bigger turbo on it - I'm guessing I would need to see some supporting mods with it and that if it had a stock exhaust and downpipe on it I would expect there to be some problems? I can dig in there, is there going to be a clear indicator(stamp or engraved part number of some sort) that its stock?

Might add - cant exactly recall but there are some "DENSO" parts I've seen under the hood. Are these typically in Subaru's because i thought they were aftermarket? Maybe part of the ignition sysem? Sorry for the vagueness here, can't recall and honestly not sure although my guess is the ignition system of some sort.

I've seen pics of where the "duty solenoid" is supposed to be, (under a cover above the air intake)...and there is clearly no cover. Not sure if thats a different year but maybe an indicator the car was modded prior?

Going to reflash this weekend to 91 and 93 to see what happens....I'm just curious that when in Cobb it refused to boost above 7psi after months of working great and now stock has this odd problem.

Thanks for the help guys, going to look into all the suggestions. I've heard there is a trick with a battery to check the BCS?

Last edited by mpz530; 09-09-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additional fact- Denso parts
post #7 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mpz530 is an unknown
For those who may see this down the road....ending up bringing to the dealership as I do have an extended warranty till 100K remaining. The reflash did NOT work nor did looking into the items as best I could.

I'm not sure how much I trust the dealer, or think its right, but they said I needed a new turbo. I was basically told that I did a good thing by bringing it in because it's on the early stages of going.

I would bring it somewhere else, but if they are going to put a new(ER) turbo in there for free at 80K miles I'm not going to complain as its bound to go sooner or later......and I don't feel like paying $1700 (thats the quote no warranty) at 102K.

I got a hunch its something supporting the turbo and they are too lazy to look into the other items - guess I'll find out in 10+ days when they replace it. Wow do they take awhile to get these replaced...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
That's cool! I hope that's it. I don;t see how you could have a turbo issue and full boost, but whenever you get a free turbo you have to go along with it. LOL

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin