high radiator temp? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
high radiator temp?

i was driving my 02 wrx yesterday, and noticed the temp was fluctuating high, then it would cool to regular temp quickly, then repeat. so i checked the fluid level, it was quite low so i added water for now untiill i get antifreeze in. it stopped the fluctuating temp, except now i notice that it gets quite warm at idle... thermostat? possibly clogging radiator? any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
sounds like you have an air bubble. With the car running(start when the engine is cool) open the overflow res(the little metal box near the turbo) squeeze the upper radiator hose a few times, you should see some air bubbles come out. Keep doing that and refilling until you see no more bubbles. Helps to run the heater to help circulate the coolant while you are doing the whole process. If you were a little low you may have a leak, I would check to see about that while you are at it. 02-03s were bad about cracking radiators. I replaced mine the first summer I had the car(year before last)

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#3 Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

i cant spot a leak as of right now, and i noticed my heater is not wanting to work now either... not sure what is going on. i will check for air bubbles asap. my heater was working before the temp fluctuations, not now, any specific reason that might happen?
#4 Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yup I would still say you have a lot of air trapped in the system. That's most likely keeping the fluid from circulating through the heater core. Double check that your passenger floor board isn't soaking wet. (That would indicate a bad heater core) but other than that your car is doing exactly the same stuff mine did before and right after I swapped radiators.

Kevin.
#5 Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok sweet! no water on floorboard at all, checked before and after a drive today. will check for bubble tomorrow after work! hope thats all it is
#6 Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Subies have JUNK radiators. Start looking around.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

any specific kinds of radiators you would reccomend??
#8 Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just picked up a Koyo aluminum racing radiator... near-perfect fitment (I had to trim my Samco silicone hoses just a tiny bit to allow proper clearance, but no big deal), 20-30% more cooling capacity than stock, no need to worry about plastic end tanks cracking since it's all aluminum, and the polished top looks pretty nice in the engine bay. The install was simple (but a little messy) and the price was decent too.

John
07 WRX
#9 Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

OK, so i checked the car today, i opened the radiator, and noticed it was low aiagin, so ifor now, untill i get this figured out, i filled it with water. I turned on the motor, and the heater, opened the cap to the tank by the turbo (which was only half-ish full) and began to squeeze the upper rad hose. i could see movement and hear bubbles from the upper tank. i decided to fill that tank as well and was able to remove all bubbles (so far). I was looking around a bit as to where a leak might be (my oil is clean as can be and no steam from exhaust so i think my head and gasket are ok, and like i said before, nothing wet on the floorboards. i noticed water was leaking from the cap on the upper tank. leaking pretty good at that - a drop or two a second when gas was applied to it. my question is; are the rad caps the same for both ? or is one different from the other because of the turbo? (i didnt try to fit one to another) oh and i havent noticed the high temp since i posted this, haha, figures. so i guess my next step is to replace the cap, probably will do both just because. Any input is appreciated
#10 Old 05-17-2012, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

OH, and as a side note, i think my radiator may not be stock, you spoke of plastic sides? mine looked all aluminum, Can you post a pic maybe??? or maybe there is a tell tale sign other than plastic somewhere, lol
#11 Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you have a cap on your radiator(on the top of the radiator itself) its not stock. The stock ones didn't have caps...I know dumb move by subaru.

Kevin.
#12 Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

hmm, yes it has a cap on the radiator itself, and one on the turbo tank (for lack of better term) i guess that means my radiator is better than stock hahaha. oh, i still have no heat.... i wouldnt think adding pure water would have anything to do with that, but i guess i have heard stranger things before, any thoughts?
#13 Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If it's the tank away from the radiator, take the cap off and look for a part # (assuming it's a Suby piece).

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#14 Old 05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

I remember when I replaced my radiator it took several "burping" sessions to get my heater to work. Just keep at it. I would do it for probably ten mins or so. It may take several trys over a couple days. Just burp and fill as needed. You probably still have air trapped in there somewhere. I think it was a month long ordeal for me. Lucky for me it was summertime.

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 05-18-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
#15 Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

good to know, i will keep at it. thanks for the info