Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Problem Diagnosis (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   High pitch squeaking (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f72/high-pitch-squeaking-32963/)

RINGY91 08-30-2012 06:53 AM

High pitch squeaking

Last night i was cruising with friends and i turned left and was going pretty slow and out of the blue heard a loud high pitch squeak. I have no clue what it is and its annoying because it doesn't happen all the time just hear n there and its only on the left. I believe it made be something the dealer told me to look at they said i have some plastic ball and socket that's loose.

If anyone has a clue please help. thanks guys.

Hondafan 08-30-2012 10:21 AM

Help us to understand the squeak. I would have said a pulley (or tensioner) was causing a belt to squeak, and being on the left side, I'd point you to the A/C compressor belt/pulley. I just ran into confusion as to a plastic ball and socket that could be loose that would cause a squeak. Is it related to changes in the body roll/movement of the car, or conditional to the revs, steering, or braking input?

If it's relative to the weight shift in the car from side to side, for example, it could be bushings around the sway bars, but I need help in understanding the type of squeak you're hearing.

RINGY91 08-30-2012 02:16 PM

well I'm not going fast when it happens so not sure if its weight shifting over but the ball and socket they side it has to do with sway i believe. I need to look at the paper they gave me with the recommendation i don't think its the belt because it sounds like left wheel weld.

hope that little info will help you guys out.

BLAZE2099 08-30-2012 08:31 PM

Its in the suspension if I'm reading this right. Pull the wheel off and wiggle and move things around, you probably wont hear a squeel, but you will more than likely find your cancer.
Had the same problem on my old 240sx super hicas.

pzr2874 08-31-2012 05:44 AM

^this

Squeak or grind?

OP, get an audio inside the car and post it. It's easy to rule out a belt, just take the assesory belt off and go for a spin.

RINGY91 08-31-2012 06:51 AM

its a squeak no grinding knock on wood.. i would post vid but no camera but i will definitely take the wheel off and give it a look.

RINGY91 08-31-2012 12:16 PM

I read the recommendation paper again and the ball n socket is a left front stabilizer. I don't know if that would cause a squeak i know at times it clunks.

can't wait to get enough money to fix it

newtothegame 09-01-2012 12:36 PM

A temporary fix, or possibly a permanent fix would be to grease it. Couldnt hurt to try it, and shouldnt cost you that much.

pzr2874 09-01-2012 11:26 PM

Are you meaning the ball-joint?

If so, get the one from NAPA... Buddy has has his on for 10K or so and no problems.

RINGY91 09-02-2012 06:21 PM

it could be a ball joint all it said on the paper was front stabilizer. About the part i am gonna try and get it myself im gonna try n stay away from the dealer unless i have to use them. If i could find exactly were the noise is coming from i would grease it. ( you're right it wouldn't hurt to grease it.)