Subaru WRX Forum banner

High eng. temp. & 2nd fan not working. Help?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AsphaltCowboy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Newbie WRX owner. So I bought a used '07 WRX STI LMTD. last week w/ 51,000 mi. on it. I searched the forum but didn't see anything in regards to my issue, maybe someone knows what's going on with my eng. temp. All seemed fine until sunday when I was sitting in a drive thru line waiting for my food. Outside temp. was around 82F and some humidity. I was using the A/C & noticed the eng. temp. rising. The A/C went warm to hot at this point so I shut it off, no change. It continued to go up so I headed for home knowing some hills I could drift down and hopefully get this temp. to lower, it worked. However, the temp. fluctuated to the high side the rest of the way back. When I got home I noticed one eng. fan running but the secondary fan was not and the temp. was still up, not hot enough to overheat but right at that point. I was out of time for any trouble-shooting as I drive over-the-road and had to leave for Georgia. I guess this will have to wait 'til I get back. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

#4 ·
I like to start testing with the part itself, then work backwards towards the controls. If you unplug your radiator fan you can usually run a set of alligator clips from the battery to the fan itself, Dont leave them connected for more than a few seconds, you can burn out your fan motor if you leave the gator clips connected too long. If the fan spins then there's more work to be done, If it doesn't spin then try swapping the polarity and if it still is no dice then switch out the fan.

If the fan works then I would work your way down the harness, They use a relay in the engine bay fuse box to control the fans, That relay may be malfunctioning.

When you have time to test the fan motor let us know if its just a bad fan.

#5 ·
I'll be bk around the beginning of Aug. & able to start testing. Thank you for the help. I will def post my findings once the problem is solved and hopefully help some others out. Btw, never having owned one before (but knew about these cars), this is quite the amazing machine... like instant love lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.