hesitation off the line? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
hesitation off the line?

I just got my car back after replacing the transmission, and now the last thing to take care of is this lag issue. You really have to slip the clutch to get it up and going. It'll hestate really bad starting out, almost enough to kill the car. It's making a couple of little noises when coasting in gear too, (not gear chatter). My tuner refused to tune the car until this issue is taken care of. He already had it on the dyno starting the tune, and cut the session short becasue of it. I'd rather not keep throwing money at my car right now, I've spent 3500 in the month since i bought it, just on maintinence, the transmission, and an alarm. This isn't a tuning issue. My tuner suggested bad injectors, timing issues, or possibly internals in the engine. He wants to do a compression test soon. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
A dumbass shop where I am from had a similar issue with a Supra once so the customer brought the car to us and they had put the pressure plate on backwards! Not sure if this is possible on WRX's as I've never ripped out a tranny (yet).

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#3 Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Sounds like a fuel issue maybe.I rember the previous owner of that car was having some issues as well.I remeber she was gonna change out to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in hope that it would cure the problem.Seiously,it's amost impossible to diagnose a car over the internet especially if the person having the issue has no diagnostic data or equipment.Ya need to find a good mechanic or spend some money on a multimeter and a Tactrix cable.Maybe $125 tops you could get that stuff and learn to log the car.That cable will tell you ALOT of stuff.Fuel pump voltage,MAF voltage,MAF airflow,timing,IAM,KC...yadyada.This is stuff crucial to diagnosing a car.Have you even tried contacting the old owner yet?She is over on wrxmodders - sekretskwirl

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

sekretskwirl is an unknown
Hmm still have the 'problem' It has to be simple as everything was replaced. I did replace the fuel pressure regulator with an adjustable one and that did not cure it. Teh internals are fine....it recently had a leakdoen and compresion tests and those test came back at factory spec. Motor was broken in exactly how it should have been ie I never had it in boost for long at all and I did not lug the motor either.

If you have a diagnosis done check the PERRIN fuel rails...their new but who knows you could find something there. We also switched the coil packs and that was not it.

Teh turbo was a lightly used VF39 and you might want to investigate there. From there I'd go for the Throttle body and check the throttle position sensor...whatever check it all

I mentioned in my PM to check the plugs and make sure they are gapped right. They could be gapped too closely. The car has brand new 'sti pinks' AND a new Walbro also. I switched that out for another and that was not it either. Start with the easy stuff and then take it to a person who isn't going 'rob' you for a little diagnostic time. That thing should be fairly quick when you do get it right so don't panic.

One thing for sure you might want to stay out of the throttle as it might be lean without a tune

I'm Buggie for Bugeyes
Danielle
#5 Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
You know ## stuff. That's exactly what he told me at the shop (That it's running rich, so keep my foot out of it). I'm let him know what's been tested already ### the first thing he wanted to do was c&l testing on the motor, for a grand total of an hour and a half shop time @$85 per hour. ouch. But they specialize in WRX's. So I want to stick with this shop. Thanks for the help. By the way, what's the potential harm of rodding on it when it's lean? Do I need to drive it like an oldsmobile or can I get on it a little. It's gonna be a bit before I can give my car up for a week again, so I can't get it diagnosed for a couple weeks.
#6 Old 10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

It blanks out u r and c u z ? That's wierd
#7 Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
By the way, what's the potential harm of rodding on it when it's lean?
Kaboom........

#8 Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Problem solved. Gave myself a mini tune-up and it seems she's running like a champ. I told my buddy what was going on, and he suggested a bit of water was the culprit. I gave her an oil change, fuel filter, put heat and fuel injector cleaner in my tank and now it purrs like a kitten. No more jumpy ideling while it's cold, and instant power. I haven't gotten to test it more than a couple times, so it may not be totally gone, but it's definately better, and I think it's good to go.
#9 Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
if your plugs are fouled it will do that hesitation again. remember you are running rich, so depending on how rich u are, u might have to change your plugs often. i had the same issue with my old wrx, i had to constantly change the plugs on it and it wasn't hesitating after i changed the plugs, but if it went away that's probably the only problem with it.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#10 Old 10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
It blanks out u r and c u z ? That's wierd

Hehe, that's this site's way of telling people to type correctly.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#11 Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

That's funny. It does foul plugs on a regular basis, so I'm told. Haven't checked lately.
The guy I bought it from bought the car from the previous owner running crappy. He found out it was a bad plug. Presto - car ran great.... for like a week. Then same problem in the next cylinder, exactly. But it is better to adress the problem rather than the symptoms. Is my tune going to fix the problem?
And you say rich, above everyone says lean though? Typo? Or something I don't know?
#12 Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
That's funny. It does foul plugs on a regular basis, so I'm told. Haven't checked lately.
The guy I bought it from bought the car from the previous owner running crappy. He found out it was a bad plug. Presto - car ran great.... for like a week. Then same problem in the next cylinder, exactly. But it is better to adress the problem rather than the symptoms. Is my tune going to fix the problem?
And you say rich, above everyone says lean though? Typo? Or something I don't know?
Like i said before.diagnosing a car over the internet is not easy.You want to know if it's running lean or rich?Buy a wideband.That simple .It's 100% possible for that car in it's state of distune that it could be running rich and lean depending on rpm/load.

#13 Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
a tune will definetely fix your rich problem. just make sure u have some fresh plugs installed before u get it tuned. try taking it back to him (your tuner) and see if he will finish it up now. just dont forget to change your plugs.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#14 Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Quote:
Problem solved. Gave myself a mini tune-up and it seems she's running like a champ. I told my buddy what was going on, and he suggested a bit of water was the culprit. I gave her an oil change, fuel filter, put heat and fuel injector cleaner in my tank and now it purrs like a kitten. No more jumpy ideling while it's cold, and instant power. I haven't gotten to test it more than a couple times, so it may not be totally gone, but it's definately better, and I think it's good to go.
How did you change your fuel filter. I have an 04 so its probubly the same. Was it hard ti do. Please let me know step by step if you would, because I have 26,000mi on mine and it runs good, but it will need a new one in the future. What recommended milage should you change a fuel filter
Thanks
Ryan

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#15 Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

No problem, assuiming it's the same setup. My filter was toward the right side of the engine bay, on top easy to spot, it has two foam coated fuel lines going to and from it. The top of your filter will say in and out. Don't get your lines confused when you disconnect the filter.

Use a phillips head driver and loosen your clamps holding the hoses on. Then have fun. Those hoses suck to take off. You might need a very small flathead driver to break the seal. Careful though, I pulled my out line off and hosed myself in gas. It went in my eye. Not cool, so put on glasses or a paintball mask, lol. It goes everywhere. Only a couple seconds though.

Now wiggle the lines into your new filter, again, don't mix them up, and tighten your clamps. Actually this sounds even harder than it is. The hardest thing is breaking the seal. Good luck