help with Steering Wheel controls - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
help with Steering Wheel controls

just wondering if anyone knows what may be happening with my controls. So the problem is that some times my radio controls on my steering wheel wont work, then they will work agin out of nowhere. Or the buttons will not do what there susposed to do, like I'll push the volume and the station will change.stuff like that. Any ideas.......It's starting to happen on the other side now with the cruise control buttons not working. Also sometimes when they dont work if i turn the wheel slightly they will work untill i turn it back the other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
My guess is that either the wiring or contacts in the steering column/steering wheel are messed up.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
just leave the radio off and listen to the purr of the engine. jk. had it happen in a ford i had, plug was loose.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Does anyone know how to access the wiring? Do I have to take the steering wheel off. Sorry for a stupid question but I don't want the airbag going off in my face while trying to access the controls.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
There should be (from previous attempts on other cars) Yellow wires label air bags under the dash or easily accessable after you take the shroud off the column. You disconnect those connectors and it disables the airbag. The shroud being the plastic cover over the column. I had to fix the turn signal switch once on aother car and the steering column on my grand am was held in by two metal plugs/tabs. One of those damn plugs fell out. They were greased and had to be hit with a hammer and a flat head screwdriver to be reinserted. Otherwise the whole column would fall in your lap. It sucked, but with disconnecting the air bag it was easily repaired with two set of hands. The second pair being my dad's.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement