HELP!! Second Air injector pump going - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-03-2013, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

bushwickbill is an unknown
Exclamation HELP!! Second Air injector pump going

Hi all. I am really new to this site. I just purchased my first WRX about a month ago. And since then I have only been able to drive it for about a week. Its a 2009 WRX hatch. Only mods are front and back sway bar and a Catback Exhaust. So my issue is, After about 4 days of driving it i went to start it one morning and the check engine light came on. Basically heard some strange sound coming from the engine bay. After opening the hood I could hear the air injector pump spinning very loud. I shut the car off and the pump kept going for another few minutes then smoke came out of it. I after a bunch of crap I got got the air injector part covered by the extended warranty. A new one pump was put in and i was on my way. I get my car back three weeks later. Now every thing was fine for about another week. Then today i went to the store. Got my stuff came back out and started up and saw the engine check light on again. I drove home as it was only two mins away. I open the hood to hear the same sound again. This time i quickly grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled the ground of the batt to stop the air injector pump from spinning. I touched the pump and it was too hot to touch!!! What the heck is going on. I mean yes the warranty covered the new part and labor the first time. But its not the pump that is the problem. Something else is going on. The error code that came up the first time was air injection pump, So I imagine its the same error code again. I will go buy a scanner tool tomorrow. But for now I am screwed. My car is un-drivable. I am wondering if anyone here has had the same issue. And I am not hard on my WRX at all. When this happened today I had my wife with me so I was driving extra careful. I need to figure out what is causing the the computer to tell the pump to spin when engine is off.
And also when the garage changed out the pump he said he ran through the diagnosis check list to ensure the circuits for that part of the system are fine. No fuses are were blown. He also check the Engine management system and it said it was indeed running on a stock tune. But this shop is not a tuner shop at all So I am unsure if he really nows how to do all that stuff. But everything else he did was great. I got him to service the whole car from the 0 km all the way too its 78000 check list. He went through the car looking for anything I should be concerned with. Everything was fine he said and I was good to go. But clearly there is a underlying issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
Hi all. I am really new to this site. I just purchased my first WRX about a month ago. And since then I have only been able to drive it for about a week. Its a 2009 WRX hatch. Only mods are front and back sway bar and a Catback Exhaust. So my issue is, After about 4 days of driving it i went to start it one morning and the check engine light came on. Basically heard some strange sound coming from the engine bay. After opening the hood I could hear the air injector pump spinning very loud. I shut the car off and the pump kept going for another few minutes then smoke came out of it. I after a bunch of crap I got got the air injector part covered by the extended warranty. A new one pump was put in and i was on my way. I get my car back three weeks later. Now every thing was fine for about another week. Then today i went to the store. Got my stuff came back out and started up and saw the engine check light on again. I drove home as it was only two mins away. I open the hood to hear the same sound again. This time i quickly grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled the ground of the batt to stop the air injector pump from spinning. I touched the pump and it was too hot to touch!!! What the heck is going on. I mean yes the warranty covered the new part and labor the first time. But its not the pump that is the problem. Something else is going on. The error code that came up the first time was air injection pump, So I imagine its the same error code again. I will go buy a scanner tool tomorrow. But for now I am screwed. My car is un-drivable. I am wondering if anyone here has had the same issue. And I am not hard on my WRX at all. When this happened today I had my wife with me so I was driving extra careful. I need to figure out what is causing the the computer to tell the pump to spin when engine is off.
And also when the garage changed out the pump he said he ran through the diagnosis check list to ensure the circuits for that part of the system are fine. No fuses are were blown. He also check the Engine management system and it said it was indeed running on a stock tune. But this shop is not a tuner shop at all So I am unsure if he really nows how to do all that stuff. But everything else he did was great. I got him to service the whole car from the 0 km all the way too its 78000 check list. He went through the car looking for anything I should be concerned with. Everything was fine he said and I was good to go. But clearly there is a underlying issue.
If they replaced the part under warrent a couple weeks ago it'll still be under warrenty when you take it back. You call them up and say hey I was just in there for blah blah blah. Tell them the problem is still there and they need to fix it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

bushwickbill is an unknown
I am seeing that on some sites that people take this part off including the sensor. Is this a wise decision. What are the pros of taking it off, other than the obvious one that it can never fail again. But what does this pump really do in the first place.
And your answer is great an all, But I am wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this in the first place.
Lastly, If I unhook my batt for while will it reset the error code computer. I have heard of this working for other cars. Just wondering.
#4 Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
The air pump is a non stop problem for 08+ and it's just a bad OE setup that causes these problems. Needless to say they're only there for US emissions reasons and serve no purpose otherwise. In order to delete it you'll need to have the codes disabled that get set off by it not being there through either open source methods or an access port. I'd recommend getting yourself an AP as soon as possible! This way you can get rid of the horrible factory tune that'll cause problems if left on there, and also be able to rid yourself of future problems from the air pump by disabling the trouble codes. Other than not having to deal with the headaches of the codes, a 10lb weight savings is about the only other advantage of taking it out. I'll be doing it as soon as I start having problems with it.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#5 Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Here's some better detailed info of what it does and what's needed for removal.

What would be deleted...
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383528832.495303.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  94.6 KB

Parts (other than AP needed)
http://bit.ly/12EdOF8

#6 Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Threads like this make me glad i deleted mine while I was in there and getting tuned.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I wish I knew of this back in the day before I was tuned. Certainly would've done it!