help please!!! guessing turbo prob? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bob450 is an unknown
help please!!! guessing turbo prob?

Ok so I have an 03 wrx, the first issue started awhile back. Mainly while on the highway passing at full boost or just on it hard at full boost for a little while the engine would totally fall on its face then come right back on with full power. It is a split second thing. It would throw the check engine, I would check it and it said wastegate actuator blah blah. But now.... totally loss of power!!!! Dont have near the power i use to> plus the otherday i started the car and began to drive and the turbo would not spool whatsoever, gave it alot of gas and seemed to break loose. Today turbo was very hot and basicly smoking. Does this sound like i need new turbo and prob fixed? Im hoping so. i DONT HAVE MANY MODS JUST EXHAUST BLOWOFF VALVE AND BOOST CONTROLLER. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You
Bobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Sounds like a bad turbo. I'm willing to bet the cat in the stock uppipe took a dump and messed up your turbo.

Do you a MBC as well? If so and not tuned, that might of been a contributing factor to a bad turbo. How much boost did you have it set at?

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
You need turbo, TUNE, injectors if you go larger, TUNE, and for God's sake get a damn TUNE

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #4 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bob450 is an unknown
i have the boost at 10. sooo if i went with maybe a 16g how big of injectors do i need? and sorry i have no clue what a mbc is?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
mbc=manual boost controller

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bob450 is an unknown
Ya I have an mbc.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Check this link out for injector sizing:WRX Fuel injector sizing guide STi Fuel injector sizing guide Lgt fuel injector sizing guide, JSC Speed

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
sounds like his previous problem was boost cut witch i is not good for the car but then driving it hard like that untuned isnt either
post #9 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Well the first thing you should do is to check to make sure all your connections are ok. Disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. Look for tears, cuts, or pinholes on all your vacuum lines. Disconnect the turbo inlet at inlet of turbo compressor and check the fins of turbo and also check for play.

If everything appears to be ok, you just might only need a tune. Get rid of the MBC and get a 3port BCS, a DP and a tune. It will be the best thing you can do to prevent your engine from taking a dump.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #10 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bob450 is an unknown
Well I'm wantin to build a little power along with getting it to run right. How much do tunes usually cost?
post #11 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
it all depends where i live they can range from $100 for an opensource all the way up to $1000 for a Gadiel Tune...but just start searching around for local tuners and find out

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #12 of 12 Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
PM sent.

As for the boost, you should be at about 14psi assuming everything else is stock. What happened was you had the boost turned up too far and the ECU freaked out. It cut fuel to the engine and it "fell on it's face." Because you've been running untuned for so long and pushing the turbo harder than it should have been, you will need a new turbo most likely. You've probably cooked the bearings and seals.

I wouldn't worry about getting a 3 port BCS honestly. That is assuming you will be getting tuned. The key with an MBC is that once you are tuned, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TOUCHING IT. The only time you should consider adjusting it is if you are told to do so by a tuner.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement